Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow start-DKservice.exe

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 estern

estern

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 10 November 2009 - 06:32 AM

I recently installed an autodefrag program, Diskeeper 2009 Home. It does a good job keeping things running smoothly, but it runs DKservice.exe at every startup once I'm on the desktop, causing a significant delay until I can access any programs other than anything OS-related.

I only found this by comparing task mgr logs before and after I could run other programs. I've contacted Diskeeper but they provided little suggestion. I'm still pleased with the program otherwise, so how do I handle the startup issue?

Current machine runs XP pro-sp3.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 10 November 2009 - 06:55 AM

Can you not uncheck it in msconfig, if it is shown as a startup item.

Presumably you can run it manually,
but it does seem to defeat the purpose of an 'auto' program?

#3 estern

estern
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:10 AM

Can you not uncheck it in msconfig, if it is shown as a startup item.

Presumably you can run it manually,
but it does seem to defeat the purpose of an 'auto' program?

I could disable it, but then the program wouldn't be running. It's meant to run whenever the computer is running, keeping up on fragmented files.

#4 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 11 November 2009 - 11:43 AM

Seems like Catch 22.

I don't use third party software much, but by all accounts, your program is very competent.

From what I can gather, problems seem to arise, due to lack of hard disk space
and / or insufficient RAM.

As the sellers cannot suggest anything to help you, perhaps users of the program
can post advice here.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 11 November 2009 - 12:44 PM

I use Perfect Disk 8.0, a similar product, and I've always thought that there is little value, if any...in continuous defragging from boot.

I move files around on a lot multiple hard drives (which is the reason that I chose to pay for PD)...and I don't even defrag on a regular basis...I just do it when I think the system probably needs it (every couple of weeks or so, after having run chkdsk /r first).

If you think that's a useful function for a defrag utility...then it seems to me that you need to accept the fact that anything like that will initiate at boot, just as your AV....your other programs that feature continuous updating/searches/scans....do.

You might find this blurb interesting, http://www.perfectdisk.com/user_data/white..._continuous.pdf.

One thing I always bear in mind when it comes to technological advancements and software...retail products have to create a mental need for many useful but unnecessary concepts...in the minds of potential buyers...in order to sell products.

If your system ran fine in 2001 with the same O/S and minus Diskkeeper, PD, or whatever...and your computing habits are basically the same...chances are that you becoming enamored with features that are totally unnecessary (but sound as if they are more efficacious to some) and are personal preferences more than necessary, useful functions.

Louis

#6 estern

estern
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:16 AM

If your system ran fine in 2001 with the same O/S and minus Diskkeeper, PD, or whatever...and your computing habits are basically the same...chances are that you becoming enamored with features that are totally unnecessary (but sound as if they are more efficacious to some) and are personal preferences more than necessary, useful functions.

Louis

@petewills. I should have adequate computer processing power. The machine runs an Intel E8400, softly overclocked from 3.0 to to 3.6Ghz, 4G (3.25G) 1066 low-cas memory, and I've partitioned the HD into OS, storage, and paging file sections to minimize file fumbling. THe OS partition still has 60G free.

@Louis There's the rub, it didn't run all that smootly given the rapid fragmentation from a game on the computer called ArmA II. It's a big program, riddled with strange computer goings-on, and the auto defrag has given noticeable improvements on how the computer runs.
Yes, the most obvious advice is to remove the offending game program. Short of that, and a pending upgrade to win7 home, I think I'll have to live with the startup delay.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users