Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need something to detect webpages

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Arrow92

Arrow92

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 10 November 2009 - 04:20 AM

Hello!
I am urgently looking for a software that will help me detect bad/spyware/virus filled websites before i enter the website and that will block said websites. It would be good if the software is free and is not too heavy on my computer.
Any advice given will be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Aaron M

"I am always ready to learn, although i do not always like being taught" - Winston Churchill

Who ever said that paper beats rock is a moron.Next time i see some one i am going to throw a rock at them while they hold up a piece of paper for a shield. - Anonymous

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jerger

jerger

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 10 November 2009 - 11:01 AM

The way Microsoft Security Essentials has been described is that it would do this, I'm not 100% sure.
for what its worth

#3 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 10 November 2009 - 11:33 AM

The problem is that a lot of the infections come from malicious ads on legit websites. There's no real way to avoid that.

#4 Arrow92

Arrow92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:24 AM

The way Microsoft Security Essentials has been described is that it would do this, I'm not 100% sure.

I see. However I am not looking for a whole new anti virus program. Merely one that will do as I have stated above.

On another note, after some reading, I have found one such program called Crawler Toolbar. How good is it and is it worth downloading?

Thank you,
Aaron M

"I am always ready to learn, although i do not always like being taught" - Winston Churchill

Who ever said that paper beats rock is a moron.Next time i see some one i am going to throw a rock at them while they hold up a piece of paper for a shield. - Anonymous

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:15 AM

On another note, after some reading, I have found one such program called Crawler Toolbar. How good is it and is it worth downloading?

Thank you,
Aaron M

You may want to read here.

IMO. I am not a fan of any site advisor programs. No two agree on good\questionable\bad sites.

Many will also show sites as bad because they may contain links to questionable sites or sites with questionable content while the directly linked site is really quit safe.

There is no set standard to site advisor programs. They are all based on the program writers opinion.

#6 dallas7

dallas7

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 11 November 2009 - 09:39 AM

Well, let's take a guess that you're using IE or Firefox. It usually helps if you mention that kinda stuff. :thumbsup:

Both of them already offer Web filtering if you have those enabled in their respective options but either is based on the latest databases which are, fortunately, updated automatically in either browser.

Finjan offers their free Secure Browsing for both IE and Firefox:
http://securebrowsing.finjan.com/

Dr. Web offers a free add-on for Firefox that will let you right click a link and pre-scan the site for bad stuff:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/938

Cheers!
"Machines making machines... How perverse!" -C3PO
Win7-HP-SP1-64; Online Armor ++; Zemana; Malwarebytes Pro.

#7 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:39 PM

Checkout OPERA browser http://www.opera.com/ as well (no add-ons needed, defaul is SAFE). If in doubt, block everything (specifically javascripts, activeX) except on the sites you totally trust. OPERA does a sitecheck as you click on a link and does block if something nefarious is seen on that site.

In IE you can create Trusted sites list, all others can be blocked/filtered by the restrictive settings for the Internet zone.

Also in the firewall you can use blocklists, such as http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php or one from OnLineArmor and others.

And/Or use PeerGuardian which blocks over a gig of terrible IPs: http://phoenixlabs.org/pg2/.

Edited by tos226, 11 November 2009 - 07:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users