Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

.Net 1.1 Framework update won't install

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bentwookiee

bentwookiee

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 10 November 2009 - 01:21 AM

My PC keeps trying to install the .Net Framework 1.1 update (KB953297) but it keeps failing. The Update is it says that fails is:
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 Security Update for Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, and Windows Server 2008 R2 (KB953297)

I recently cleaned some malware, rootkit and hijacker stuff off my PC, so I'm not sure if that could have caused this update to keep failing.

Note: I know there are newer version of the .Net Framework but my PC doesn't seem to have them installed (my Add/Remove programs only shows the Microsoft .Net Framework 1.1. However, I do remember it showing the 2.0 and the 3.X (can't remember if it was 3.0 or 3.5) before. I ran a dotnetfx.exe (from microsoft) that removed all the .Net stuff from my PC, so it removed all versions. Since then, automatic updates isn't picking up the other .Net Framework versions (it's only finding the 1.1 version update).

Anyone have any thoughts on how to get this update to install? Or do I even need 1.1? Could I just install the newer versions (and if so, how do I do that)?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 10 November 2009 - 06:58 AM

Re .Net Framework problems

This topic probably covers all your questions

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/264765/security-update-kb953297-fails/

Worth reading, may help.

FYI - The following are now installed on my computer:

Version 2.0
Version 3.0
Version 3.5 SP1

Version 1.1 does not seem to be necessary and when it is offered
as an update, if it will not install, you can select 'Don't show this update again'.

No program has called for the 1.1 version; until that happens, I regard it as unnecessary.

Uninstall other versions first.

Install:

cumulative update for .net framework 3.5 SP1

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

You should then update through Windows Update.

Edited by petewills , 10 November 2009 - 07:22 AM.

#3 bentwookiee

bentwookiee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 12 November 2009 - 04:43 PM

Ok, so I removed .Net 1.1 and now I have 2.0 and 3.5 installed and updated.

Thanks

#4 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 13 November 2009 - 06:18 AM

Feedback appreciated. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users