Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Please. All Web Pages Load very Slowly, This is driving

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jparker59

jparker59

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 05 August 2005 - 10:35 AM

Hi. About a two weeks or so ago, web pages started loading very when I am on the internet. For example, cnn.com takes about 20 to 30 seconds to load fully after the browser has indicated it has found the page. I have not installed any new software recently. I checked my DSL speed on CNET and one other location, and it is fine (close to 3Mbps). I ran numerous virus scans and other malware scans in safe and normal mode and found nothing. I downloaded Firefox and tried it, and it does the same thing. I downloaded Netscape and it too does the same thing. My DSL service provider tells me it is not them (although I am not totally convinced of this.

I ran a HighjackThis log and posted in that forum here, and OldTimer respoded. I tried everything he suggested, and he could not fix the problem and is pretty sure it is not being casued by any malware on my computer. I also, at OldTimer's suggestion, uninstalled all my Norton/Symantec programs and that did not speed up the web pages (I have since reinstalled it for protection).

I run Windows XP on a Dell computer that is less than a year old. Does anyone out there have any ideas on what might be wrong?

Thanks for any help anyone might be able to give me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 unrepper

unrepper

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 05 August 2005 - 11:28 AM

Had your same issue a few days ago I ran all the usual scans Adaware, Spybot, CW Shreder, Hijackthis, and Microsoft Antispyware. None of theese helped either. After running netstat -a from the command prompt I discovered several ports were being used by programs and Ip addresses I didn't know. I did a little digging and discoverd a trojan and this is the way I removed it.

http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html

Also, have you ever considered switching to the Firefox internet browser? It's highly tweakable and most of the basic tweaks can be found here on the tips and tricks board.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/
Posted Image

#3 jparker59

jparker59
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2005 - 02:35 PM

Thanks. I will try that when I get home tonight.

As I said in my initial post, I tried FireFox to see if it would work any better than IE, and it did not. I assume you are suggesting that using Firefox and then tweaking it properly, would reduce the chance of malware in the future. I will try it out and see if I like it -- after I figure out what is currently wrong with my computer.

Thanks.

#4 jparker59

jparker59
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2005 - 08:25 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, but none of it helped. Does anyone else have any suggestions of what might be wrong here?

Thanks.

#5 unrepper

unrepper

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 08 August 2005 - 09:28 PM

http://www.pcpitstop.com/internet/default.asp

Browsing - Speedup (Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer)

Start/Run/Regedit HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Remote
Computer\NameSpace In the left pane find: {D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF} Value and delete it.

info from kellys korner
Posted Image

#6 jparker59

jparker59
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2005 - 08:50 PM

Hi. Here is an update. When this problem first started, the first thing I did was check Windows Update to see if there were any updates for XP I did not have. Since my XP is set to update automatically when there are critical updates, there were none.

Last week (I believe it was Tuesday), when I turned on my computer, a bunch of messages from Windows appeared asking if I wanted to download and install several security type updates. There were 7 updates in all. I said yes. Once there wee installed the problme I have been having with slow loading internet pages weent away completely.

Again, thank you so much for trying to help me with this problem. I greatly apprecate you taking the time to help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users