Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP kept rebooting - now seems like my Hard Drive failed after getting BSOD

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 michigan fan

michigan fan

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 10 November 2009 - 12:39 AM

To start off, XP SP2 home machine with 1 gig RAM and 50 gig WD HD

I thought I was having the same issues that needsalittlehelp was having where my XP machine kept rebooting when I tried to start it. I was reading his post and decided the first thing I should try was the WD check disk utility.

Well, it went from bad to worse.
I inserted the WD boot disk that came with HD and tried to boot up. And system tried to start XP bypassing the WD boot disk. So went into Bios to set Boot Sequence, set the CD-ROM as number 1 (floppy disk was #1, with CD-ROM #2, but didn't work on frist try anyway).
Hit restart and got message "reboot and select proper Boot device or insert boot media in selected Boot device and press a key". So it doesn't want to boot from WD CD.
I then went back into Bios to make sure CD was #1 and the CD-ROM doesn't even show up in the Bios now as a choice. Long story short for this - when ever the HD and CD-ROM are connected to the mother board, CD-ROM does not show.
When I disconnect the HD, then the CD-ROM will show in Bios and is number 1. I even disconnect the floppy drive so there was no other choice.
Now when I boot with HD disconnected the WD CD boots just fine and I get the prompt (after some initial lines of test)

[1] Run Data Lifeguard
[2] Create Data Lifeguard Bootable Diskette
[3] Create Data lifeguard Diagnostics Bootable Diskette
[4] Quit

If I select 1 with HD re-connected (w/o rebooting) I get "Batch file X:\L.BAT missing, Strike a key when ready..." if I hit a key that message just scrolls.
As soon as I disconnect the HD, the WD CD comes up and I get the Data Lifeguard Tools menu.
And then if I try to run any on the utilities with the HD connected I get "utility.znc could not be found.

It seems that anytime I have the HD connected, I get errors. Does it sound like the HD has become a paper weight?
Thanks for help in advance. I've been to this site several times and it's saved me more then once - I appreciate all the help.
M fan

Edited by michigan fan, 10 November 2009 - 12:41 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 10 November 2009 - 05:43 AM

Your difficulty with booting to the CD may be a cable connector position &/or CD-ROM jumper setting issue.

The preferred position for a boot device is at the end connector position of an IDE cable.
The preferred jumper setting is as MASTER (in preference to "cable select").

Check, and change if necessary, those two things and try again.

You said: "when ever the HD and CD-ROM are connected to the mother board, CD-ROM does not show."
That is a bit of a puzzle and seems to indicate that something is wrong somewhere, but I don't know of a solution.

Edited by AustrAlien, 10 November 2009 - 05:50 AM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 michigan fan

michigan fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:50 AM

Thanks for the reply.

Ya, the way the pc was configured, the CD-ROM and DVD were hooked up to the same ribbon cable and the HD was on its own ribbon cable. The HD and CD-ROM are now connected to the same ribbon cable and I think the CD-ROM is connected to the middle connector. I'm currently at work and don't have the machince in front of me to look at.

When I get home tonight I will swap them around and look for a jumper on the CD-ROM for master.
Thanks again,
I will let you know how things go when I get home.

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 03:01 PM

the CD-ROM and DVD were hooked up to the same ribbon cable

You have two optical disk drives?
Try using the "DVD" to boot from the CD.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,560 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 10 November 2009 - 03:13 PM

FWIW: Your two optical drives should be on the same cable...while your hard drive should be on the end connector of a different cable.

The jumper settings of the two optical drives must match...both must be Cable Select (factory default for all drives these days)...or the end must be Master and the middle drive set to Slave.

Louis

#6 michigan fan

michigan fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:20 AM

No Joy

I put the DVD at the end of the cable, moved the jumper to Master on DVD, attached the HD to the middle cable connector. This mother board (ASUS P4GPL-X) only has one P-ATA port, so both DVD and HD have to go on same cable. When my machine was up and running I had a P-ATA controller plugged into one the motherboard slots so I could have all 3 drives going at same time. I will be buying a SATA HD to replace this one. Board has 4 SATA ports.

I get exact same results. Whenever the HD is connected to the cable, the DVD will not boot. Same as before, with HD connected the DVD does not show in the bios boot-up list (shows #1 Disabled). When I disconnect the HD the DVD showed up on the boot list as number one.

With HD disconnected WD Boot Disk runs same as before and same messages come up when I try to run the WD utilities after connecting HD.

Thanks for the help.
BTW HD 2 year warrenty ran out in Jan 2005 so I bet this drive is going on 7 years (not that I think that means it's time for it to fail though).

#7 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2009 - 03:38 AM

In BIOS Setup Menu (at first tab/screen?), look at the drive configuration and ensure that detection of both hard drive and optical drive (both IDE devices) is ENABLED. Ensure that both the hard drive and the optical drive are shown as present and are correct.

Then look at the BOOT ORDER tab/screen, and they should both be listed.

Edited by AustrAlien, 11 November 2009 - 03:39 AM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,560 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 11 November 2009 - 09:20 AM

FWIW:

To boot from a hard drive...it should be on the end connector of the cable.

If your system is like this one...you have 1 IDE connector and 4 SATA connectors on your motherboard. I also have an Asus board (M2A-VM).

The one IDE connector can be used to connect both the hard drive and an optical drive with no problem...but the jumper settings must be the same pattern (both CS or 1 Master, 1 Slave)...and the hard drive must/should be on the end connector of the cable.

Unless your cable is bad or old...or a drive is going bad. Older cables do not support having a hard drive and an optical drive on the same cable...without problems.

Louis

#9 michigan fan

michigan fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:14 AM

ok we're getting somwhere :thumbsup: - thanks for your help so far
I used a different ribbon cable and set the jumper for DVD as master and the HD as cable select and was able to get the bios to see both drives :flowers: . Set the DVD as #1 boot. The WD Data Life Tools didn't really give me an option to to run a HD disk check, but other funtions of HD seemed to check out OK.

So, I inserted the Window XP disk, pressed R for the recovery Console and the system exams the disk configuration.
I then get on the screen:

1: C:\WINDOWS
Which Windows installation would you like to log onto
<to cancel, press ENTER>?

I press 1<enter>

It shows
C:\WINDOWS>_

I type cd.. to get the C:\
I get "The command is not recognized Type HELP for a list of supported commands.

I type DIR, HELP, ect and things seem to work, but have trouble with cd..
When I type cd system, I get C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM> as expected but when I type cd.. to get back, I get the same command not recognized message.

My DOS is very rusty. Can I please get some assistance from here?
Thanks,
M Fan

#10 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:34 AM

It shows
C:\WINDOWS>

Type cd \
OR
cd ..

(with a space after cd in both cases)
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#11 michigan fan

michigan fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:39 AM

It shows
C:\WINDOWS>

Type cd \
OR
cd ..

(with a space after cd in both cases)

Duhhh... oh ya, that works. As I said, it's been awhile. Thanks.

So do you suggest I continue with the recovery instructions from here?

#12 michigan fan

michigan fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:41 AM

btw - I did do a chkdsk /p and it came back with no errors.

#13 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:48 AM

To start off, XP SP2 home machine with 1 gig RAM and 50 gig WD HD
I thought I was having the same issues that needsalittlehelp was having where my XP machine kept rebooting when I tried to start it.

That is all we know about your situation at the moment. I can make no comment based on that.
Please provide full details/description of your system and problem, what transpired before the problem that may be relevant, and what has transpired since (what have you tried, what works, what does not work?)
Post any error messages, BSOD details.
Can you access Safe Mode?

I will certainly help if I can, as will other members, but we need to have as much info on your particular circumstance as possible before any worthwhile comment can be made.

Edit: also ASUS P4GPL-X and a WD HDD.

Edited by AustrAlien, 12 November 2009 - 01:51 AM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#14 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 02:04 AM

Many helpers would suggest that you make chkdsk /r one of the first things that you do in your situation. Run from the Recovery Console, this includes chkdsk /p

I am not entirely sold on chkdsk /r .... but is generally something that "works" and is simple and easy.

Some others (me included) would suggest first checking that the hard drive is not showing any signs of failing at all, by running the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic utility, and if that is the case, then running chkdsk /p to check and repair any file system errors.

I would like to see you complete the WD hard drive test before moving on, but that is your choice. If you don't wish to go back and sort out how to run the WD test, then I can only suggest that you should run chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console, before doing anything else. If any errors are found &/or repaired, then run chkdsk /r again.

I will await your post with your system and problem description etc.

Edited by AustrAlien, 12 November 2009 - 02:06 AM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#15 michigan fan

michigan fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 02:20 AM

ok ya, I guess it's better not to get ahead of myself.
So last thing I was doing when machince was working correctly, I was doing a seach for a .mp3 file and as soon as I hit the 'search' button, the machine did a reboot. Then it kept rebooting after getting the BSOD to flash for a mili-second.

My system is ASUS MB - P4GPL-X, Intel socket 478 - 2.1g, XP home, 1 gig ram, and actually a 60g Western Digital HDD.

I cannot access safe mode (system reboots) and cannont load to last known working configuration (system reboots)

My BSOD Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x804D9A69, 0xF7C8267C, 0xF7C82378)

My HDD didn't seem to be acting up b4 this event, maybe I picked up a virus. I have Computer Associates virsus scan.

So you know my issues up to here. I can now get into windows recovery console.
I do get the Access is denied message when I try to get to system~1 and when I try to rename system to system.bak, I get a system.bak file already exits. And I did verify in my C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG folder I have both system and system.bak files.

That's where I am - thanks for the help so far.
M Fan
I'm going to quit for tonight and will check back in tomorrow - thanks

I will run chkdsk /r right now and let you know results

Edited by michigan fan, 12 November 2009 - 02:24 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users