Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade to 2 internal HD's

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DellBert

DellBert

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 09 November 2009 - 10:02 PM

I used to work on computers (hardware) when they took up fairly large rooms, all the cabeling was under a raised floor, and if you opened the right cabinet doors there were hundreds of little blinking LEDs to marvel at. I actually knew why all the blinkies, were, well blinking.

Fast forward to today, the 21st century.

I have been inside my Dell Vostro 200's case a couple of times to PM the fans and other dust bunnies, upgragde my video card and max out the RAM.

I'm running dual monitors and am hoping a second internal drive will give me better scratch disk performance and speed up my Photoshop processing a bit.

I goofed and only got a 160 GB HD when I first configured ole Vostro here. I thought 160 GB would hold me for a while. I don't blame you for laughing out loud.

Remembering the last time I was in the case it seems there was space to slip in a second internal, about 500 GB worth?
Keith

If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 IrishGrimReaper

IrishGrimReaper

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:43 AM

Hey Dell.

Here's a relatively cheap drive for still an excellent performer!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...2-181-_-Product

Or this one too!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...6-320-_-Product

Edited by IrishGrimReaper, 10 November 2009 - 09:43 AM.

|~|i7 920-D0@3.9Ghz|~|Noctua NH-U12P|~|P6T Deluxe V2|~|OcZ 3x2GB DDR3 1600Mhz|~|PNY GTX 275 898MB|~|Enermax Rev85+ 850 Watt|~|Xonar Dx 7.1|~|Lian Li P80|~|Samsung T220|~|G9|~|G11|~|Intel SSD X25M:G2-80GB|~|Windows 7 Home Premium 64|~|SteelSeries Siberia White|~|

#3 DellBert

DellBert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 11:02 AM

Thanks for those links IrishGrimReaper. :thumbsup:

Do you know if I can put one of those in the case along with the existing drive?

Edited by DellBert, 10 November 2009 - 11:03 AM.

Keith

#4 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 10 November 2009 - 12:16 PM

For a hard drive upgrade you'll need-

An open SATA port on your motherboard
A power source that can handle the extra hard drive(500 watts or higher should work, if you're only running one graphics card)
An open Hard drive bay.

Once you install it, it'll just come up as another drive in "My Computer" and I know you can set photoshop to use it as a scratch disk.

Edit- you'll also have to have another power plug from your power source. Usually there's an extra one, and it'll be on the same set of power running to your current hard drive.

Edited by Vaerli, 10 November 2009 - 12:19 PM.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#5 DellBert

DellBert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 01:09 PM

Thanks for all that info Vaerli.

I'm going to have another look in the case, now that I have some more definate check points.

Edited by DellBert, 10 November 2009 - 01:09 PM.

Keith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users