Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CMOS Error

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 neonick

neonick

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 09 November 2009 - 09:53 PM

So I had to leave my computer unplugged and powered down for a couple of weeks because I was busy moving and other stuff. When I started my computer up today, I had an error on boot that said something about the CMOS being reset to the default settings. I pressed F1 to continue and it booted fine, except for a few problems. The clock reset itself to December 11, 2001 at 11:54 PM. Second, under DXDIAG, the processor is clocked at 1.1 Ghz when it should be clocked at 1.9 Ghz. Is this a battery problem? Is there any way to test to see if it's the battery without replacing it? I'll replace it if it IS the battery, I just hope my CMOS chip isn't bad.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 10 November 2009 - 06:22 AM

Replace your CMOS battery, reset date and BIOS settings and relax.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 neonick

neonick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 11:48 AM

Ok I replaced the battery last night and I'm on the computer now. I had to reset the date again in Windows and it's good now. Except I don't know how to configure the BIOS. It's an Asus A7N8X2.0 with an AMD Athlon XP 2600+ that's running at 1.1 Ghz, not 1.9. I've never configured BIOS settings before aside from making the CD ROM the primary boot device. Is there a guide for this motherboard that explains how to configure it properly?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 12:33 PM

You don't have to configure it...just the boot settings...sorry, I should have explained.

Long ago (in computer time) BIOS settings had to be written down when changing the battery (or so it was thought). But today, the default settings are invoked automatically when the battery is changed or the CMOS jumper is reset.

The default settings of any BIOS are those which are most likely to boot and probably the ones which came already set on the motherboard/system.

If you reset the time/date and checked your boot order (and saved via F10), you should be good to go :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 neonick

neonick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 12:46 PM

"The default settings of any BIOS are those which are most likely to boot and probably the ones which came already set on the motherboard/system."

It still boots, and I'm using the PC now, but my processor is still running at 1.1 Ghz when it should be running 1.9 Ghz. I'm wondering what has to be done to get it back where it should be?

#6 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 01:53 PM

In the BIOS you will need to set the CPU MULTIPLIER and the front side bus to get your CPU to the correct speed. Not all boards set the multiplier and bus automatically. Post your multiplier and bus speeds and lets see what is happening.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#7 neonick

neonick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 01:55 PM

"Post your multiplier and bus speeds and lets see what is happening."

Would that be in the BIOS or can I use that CPUZ Program (I think that's what it is)?

#8 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 02:24 PM

CPUZ will work fine.

#9 neonick

neonick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 02:33 PM

OK I got it. Bus speed is 99.5 Mhz and the multiplier speed is X 11.5

#10 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 03:08 PM

You should be running the bus speed at 166mhz. Bump it up and see if everything works OK. You might even get lucky and overclock it a bit.

#11 neonick

neonick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 03:14 PM

166 Mhz actually sounds like the right speed for some reason. I think I've seen it before. I don't know how to overclock and if I could, I could only go up to 2.0 Ghz which is the fastest processor speed the motherboard can have. So a bump from 1.9 to 2.0 Ghz wouldn't be significant enough (to me) to overclock. Thanks for the help, i'll post again when I bump it up.

#12 neonick

neonick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:21 PM

Thank you for the help. I changed it back to 166mhz and the processor is reading as 1.9 Ghz again. It's actually running faster than it has been for the past 2-3 weeks when it originally started running slow. And I knew 166mhz sounded familiar because I used to watch my computer boot because I was waiting to get on and I used to see it posting 166mhz. So anyway, thank you again for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users