Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

upgrading my current system what do you think of my new build?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Still_Learning

Still_Learning

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 09 November 2009 - 07:08 PM

Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...pk=GA-EP45-UD3P

Ram

8gb pc-6400 800Mhz

CPU

Q6600 LGA 775 2.4Ghz X4

Hard drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820227468

Read 240MB/s
Write 145MB/s

2x 360 Seagate drives (main storage)

Optical
nothing fancy
1 Dvd/cd read/write

Case

Raid Max Avalance

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811156198

Power supply

NOT SURE YET IM THINKING 650 WATTS BUT I NEED TO CUT COST

Video card
2x Pci-e of anything with 2 monitor out puts each
DVI DVI DVI - HDMI

Speakers

yamaha 5.1 surround sound

OS

Windows 7 ULT 64bit

Extras

Silver stone fan controller
Sony Multi-media card reader, usb, fw etc

hp infrared usb adapter and windows media center remote
hp wireless mouse and keyboard

3x Same type monitor
1x Tv

Things id like
1 remote to conrol my tv, surround sound and windows media center!

Edited by Still_Learning, 09 November 2009 - 07:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 09 November 2009 - 11:10 PM

That's not too good. Since you've listed no budget or what you are going to be doing with it, I cannot give a specific suggestion, but I can make a few general ones. First, I would go for an AMD system, unless you want a high-dollar, ultra high performance system. If do go for that, get an AM3 only system. A 30GB SSD is not enough for your primary drive, I suggest getting one that has double capacity. Get an ATI Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire, that is very cost-effective. If you get that video card, I would get at least a 700W power supply from Corsair, Silverstone, OCZ, or PC Power. I also, for a home user, do not suggest using Windows 7 Ultimate, get Home Premium since it contains everything you will need. This is a helpful graph that compares the editions. If this will be a media center PC, you may want to get a very good sound card. I suggest the Xonar D2X since it has many of the features home theater enthusiasts love, plus, I have one.

3939.png

#3 Still_Learning

Still_Learning
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 11 November 2009 - 05:55 PM

ok i cant edit my first post so ill just explain on here. i use my computer for only my personal life, i have a job but it doesnt need me to be on my computer. i want a system that will ive me three monitors and will not slow down when i run my apps (nothing special) but i run alot of apps at once.... itunes, outlook, mulitple tabs on firefox av/ sosftware to manage my multiple moniotrs etc etc i just want a fast system and i dont game. priamy use is metioned above most of it is surfing the web o mulitmedia. but i cant sen it when the computerl lags i need speeeeedddd and sometimes i edit video and music so i need some power there but thats very minimal...i dont game so i dont need anything fancy. and the reson i am going with the q6600 is because i already have the chip

heres my current build

psu
nothing special i think like 400watt

8400 gt
1 monior 1 sony tv

q6600

generic monther board

2 x360 hdd

antec iceburg case

pretty much i want a new board and new ssd thats all.

Edited by Still_Learning, 11 November 2009 - 06:02 PM.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:59 PM

Well, if you get a new motherboard, you need a new operating system unless you use a retail version of Windows, which very few people do. Most users have OEM editions. You're saving money by using the Q6600 though it is getting a little old. That CPU can still easily keep up though, it just runs a little hotter and is more power hungry than newer CPU's, that's all. You still haven't listed a budget so I'll make some suggestions and we can tweak things around until we reach an acceptable price point.

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - A solid, inexpensive motherboard. Since you don't play games, you don't need more than a single PCI-E x16 slot. $79

RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 - This motherboard only allows for DDR2-1066 or 1200 memory. You can buy two if you wish since the motherboard can take 8GB of RAM, but unless you're gaming or doing video editing, you only really need one kit. Remember, you need a 64-bit operating system to use 4GB or more of RAM. $97 (Before $15 mail-in rebate)

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W - If you want to use a newer graphics card, you will need a better power supply. Corsair comes highly recommended and with the wattage it puts out, you can run most single GPU cards with it. $99 (Before $20 mail-in rebate)

Graphics Card: ASUS EAH5750/2DIS/1GD5 Radeon HD 5750 1GB - Since you're not playing games, there's little reason to go with a super powerful card. This card is in the latest GPU family from ATI. It has Eyefinity which makes it easier to blend multiple monitors together into one display and has plenty of ports for a simple, two-monitor hookup. $144

SSD: Intel X25-M SSDSA2MH080G1 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - Intel makes some of the best solid-state drives around. This drive should only be used to install the OS and one or two of your most frequently used applications. Note, that many SSD's are 2.5 inches not 3.5 inches which is what most drive bays require. You will need a cradle or adapter to mount this drive in such a bay. $259

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit - The Ultimate edition is a total, and I do mean total, waste of money for home users. This is the 64-bit edition required to use 4GB or more of RAM. $106

3939.png

#5 IrishGrimReaper

IrishGrimReaper

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 11 November 2009 - 11:18 PM

DJBpace rigs looks great, just worth saying that's the older generation of the Intel X25. You'll want the newer one as it supports TRIM. The black x25's are the old generation without TRIM, the white ones also known as X25-G2(Generation 2) are the new ones with TRIM.

It's $30 more. And it's a must too you go with Windows 7 to utilize the TRIM capability.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...7-016-_-Product
|~|i7 920-D0@3.9Ghz|~|Noctua NH-U12P|~|P6T Deluxe V2|~|OcZ 3x2GB DDR3 1600Mhz|~|PNY GTX 275 898MB|~|Enermax Rev85+ 850 Watt|~|Xonar Dx 7.1|~|Lian Li P80|~|Samsung T220|~|G9|~|G11|~|Intel SSD X25M:G2-80GB|~|Windows 7 Home Premium 64|~|SteelSeries Siberia White|~|

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users