Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What do I need Java for in Firefox.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 09 November 2009 - 05:43 PM

Since updating the other day to Firefox 3.5.5 and the latest Java v6 u17 my browser has been intermittently crashing. I read on Google that this could be caused by one or both of the Java Plugins. I wondered is it ok if I disabled them as a test to see if it stops Firefox crashing, or does the browser need Java to operate. As add-ons I use No-Scripts, Ad-Block Plus, WOT and I also have Download Helper installed. As far as plug ins go I have the two mentioned Java ones as well as the Mozilla default plug-in, the Shockwave Flash and VLC Mediaplayer plug-ins. Otherwise I have the Microsoft DRM and Windows Media Player plug-ins switched off. I have cleared the cache and also cleaned out my cookies. The only Cookies on my PC are my regularly visited sites. Does anybody have an idea on what is causing Firefox to have these crashes?. All of the above are updated to the latest versions.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:53 AM

With regard to your first question: disabling Java will not affect the browser at all. You will simply get a notice on pages that use Java that "a required plugin was not found." All other pages will work normally.

#3 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:47 AM

Thanks for that Andrew. The problem turned out to be a conflict of some sort between VLC player and WMP11 in Firefox and nothing to do with Java but still nice to know that Java is not a critical program.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:00 PM

Glad you got your problem fixed.

Only rarely, in my experience, is Java needed. I have it disabled in my Firefox settings.

Tools --> Options --> Content

I remove the checkmark next to Enable Java.

On those occasions when I do need it, such as for BC Chat or my job's training program, I put the checkmark back then refresh the window or tab.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2009 - 05:04 AM

Thanks again, I have unchecked it in Content as mentioned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users