Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cp update trouble

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 superqaz

superqaz

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 09 November 2009 - 04:23 PM

hi all,

am using cp update to update xp. all going well except i i cant find the files to be burnt to cd [iso] . the finall msg. is something like: "the iso image was completed successfully" . nowhere can i see intruction to insert a disc for burning, could it be that i'm suppose to know that? lol. and although i eventually found what the program downloaded i cant tell which folder needs to be turned into an iso image....... any ideas

thanx

found the following on another forum, it explains how it works but it dosent answwer the question :

Do I have to burn a CD or DVD to install updates?

No, you do not, and this is of great advantage because it usually speeds up the update process. One does not necessarily need an optical disk to use the offline updater. The offline updater can be run from any type of large capacity removable media including Flash memory drives or external Hard Drives with multiple interface types (such as USB, Firewire or eSATA). One simply needs to download and unpack the “ctupdate” program folder and run the program. Then, after all necessary files are retrieved from Microsoft.com, the update process can be run directly from an external drive via a secondary program located within a subdirectory of the “ctupdate” folder.

Within this directory, there is the main “Updategenerator.exe" program. This downloads, verifies, organizes and prepares the updates and program scripts to install all needed files on your system; it also will create the master ISO disk image so you can burn an installation disk if you choose this option. However, once the Update Generator process is run successfully the user can simply go into the "client" folder that resides within the "ctupdate" folder and they will see a list of abbreviated directories. These directories store downloaded updates and represent different versions of the Windows Operating System and the Microsoft Office Application Suite. For instance, the “wxp” folder represents the Windows XP Operating System. In this same directory there is a program called "Updateinstaller.exe”. If this program is launched it will begin the process for update installation directly from the "ctupdate" folder without the need to burn a disk. The root "ctupdate" folder can be copied anywhere, and onto any media just like any other kind of data and be run successfu
lly without issue.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 09 November 2009 - 04:45 PM

An .iso file...is just a file.

You can create a bootable CD from an .iso file, using any number of programs to do so: How to successfully burn or write an ISO-image to cd or dvd - http://iso.snoekonline.com/iso.htm

I use the Active@ Iso Burner program to create bootable CDs from .iso files.

Louis

#3 superqaz

superqaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2009 - 05:32 PM

i already know this. would u mind rereading the posting a i cant see how else to phrase it, thanx

#4 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,241 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 09 November 2009 - 07:53 PM

This of course has nothing to do with XP, but I decided to check it out.

The way I read/see the Offline Updater is that it will gather from the Microsoft update site(s) a collection of (for example) Windows XP updates that you can choose from a list and using some high speed Internet connection, it will download everything you tell it to download into one package that you can carry around with you on any media that has sufficient capacity to hold it's creation, which is usually going to be an ISO file. You will also need to carry around the Offline Updater installer to install said creation.

Then, on some new installation of Windows XP, you could install your base system from some outdated XP installation CD, somehow attach your Offline Updater creation and using it's software, install all the Windows XP updates that were accumulated in the first process. Alledgedly, nothing to download from the Internet because you have it all with you.

This is supposed to save you time when you install XP on a system does not have any Internet connection or any high speed Internet connection available to download all the updates, SPs, etc that it might need after the initial XP install - you have them with you on your high capacity device. You don't have to do all that time consuming downloading over a slow connection.

Offline Updater is not a CD/DVD burner. It will not ask you to insert a CD. You can burn a CD using the file(s) it creates (including the Offline Updater installation program), but you will not burn a CD/DVD with Offline Updater. It just creates the ISO that you could burn to a CD/DVD of your choice using the program of your choice.

It is an interesting concept and I ended up with two separate ISOs - one for XP and one for Office 2007. If I wanted to use them for a new installation, I would have to use another program to burn the ISOs to CD/DVD and follow the Offline Updater installation instructions.

There is no folder to turn into an ISO image. Offline Updater creates ISO images for you (or it did for me). I installed and ran it from my Desktop, so my two ISO images are here:

C:\Documents and Settings\Jose\Desktop\ctupdate60\ctupdate\iso

wsusoffline-wxp-enu.iso
wsusoffline-o2k7-enu.iso

I wonder if it works...

Edited by joseibarra, 09 November 2009 - 07:55 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#5 superqaz

superqaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 03:39 PM

i first of all thought updater just made an iso file and left me to take care of burning it, then when i couldnt find it [iso file] i started to wonder if it included a burner as well.....thanx for clearing that up. so now ive scoured my pc [searched] for all iso files and found none, but i did find the empty folder named iso [as you describe is on ur computer]. i did all this before coming on the forum. now i know 4 sure thats where the files should be found, again thanx.

unless u have further ideas i will run updater again and addittionaly check the option to put the updates where they can be copied to flash drive, although i want them on a cd/dvd

mark

#6 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,241 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 04:23 PM

At least now I know what that thing is - I think I read about it once before, now I have actually tried it to a certain point.

I just checked the minimal check boxes all for English on their screen. Launching (not actually running) it again, it still has the check for:

Create ISO image(s) per selected product and language

I did end up with the two ISO files as indicated. It doesn't let you choose a destination for the ISO files, it seems to want to use it's own folder structure under the ctupdate folder, and I ran it from a HDD so having enough free file space is not a question for me.

Now I will delete it and get back the the 3.5GB of space it is consuming.

Good luck!

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#7 superqaz

superqaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:56 AM

thank you for running ct updater , its handy being able to talk with someone whos accually using it.

you say the iso file ends up in whatever place i installed the progam from....i found the empty folder called "ISO" in the/a "temp" folder. Could this been because i let it be unzipped to a default location, i.e. the temp folder.?

also, are the files which are saved to somewhere specific in the "usb" box also of the iso variety.?

Am i right in thinking ctupdate gives u iso files so u can end up with a bootable disk, and that its better to install updates from a disk that boots the system rather than from within the system its self. hope i dont sound too confused [lol] ?

Gawd....Windiz [updater] was so simple when it was around.

thanx

#8 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,241 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2009 - 09:49 AM

Well, I am not using it and don't plan to use it, I just tried it to see what it would do and did not go beyond the point of letting it create the ISO files and I don't have the stuff installed anymore.

My method was to download the ctupdate60.zip folder to my desktop from here:

http://www.h-online.com/security/features/...ate-746179.html

That left me with a zip folder on my desktop, which I right clicked and unzipped and it created a new folder on my desktop called ctupdate60 on my desktop with lots of other folders under it.

I located and ran their executable, clicked some boxes that sounded right for me and let it run. It runs in a DOS window where you can scroll up and down as it works and you can see what it is doing and can see the paths to where it is putting things.

I think it accumulates things (a lot of things) from the Microsoft WWW site and when it is all done, creates the ISO file.

I don't recall if there was a temp folder anywhere or not, but the ISO files were not in any temp folder - they were where I indicated. I don't think I checked any of the USB options.

When it got done, I searched the ctupdate60 folder (and subfolders) for *.iso and found those two ISO files I mentioned with current date and time stamps indicating they were recently created.

If you create a new XP installation and after you get on the Internet, hopefully you will quickly do a Windows Update to get your new system up to date. Downloading all the updates can take a long time over a slow connection. ctupdate60 will download all the updates (supposedly) and create an ISO you can carry around with you so you don't have to download all the updates.

I do not know what to do with the ISO files after that - I quit while I felt like I was ahead and the stuff is now deleted from my system.

#9 superqaz

superqaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2009 - 11:24 AM

the temp folder was because i let the unzipper unzip to default folder whic was probaly in a temp folder...thats what i meant, but i will find out soon e.

i was wondering why they give you iso files... and why not some oither file types

thanx

#10 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,241 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2009 - 01:35 PM

I think of an ISO file as a single file that contains a lot of other files compressed into a standard format that is understood by CD readers, CD writers and compression programs. It lets you put a whole bunch of stuff into a single file that is easy to move around.

ctupdate downloads all the MS updates individually and wraps them up into a single ISO file ready to burn.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_image

#11 superqaz

superqaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 02:15 PM

ah thats what they are, thouht it wasjust about making a computer boo from them, anyway i seached the disk and couldnt find any iso files but i have the other now on desktop with empty iso folder....odd, i also have everything except iso files in another folder for copying to flash memery, maybe if i leave out that option and try again, who knows

thanx

#12 superqaz

superqaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2009 - 01:08 PM

as a last resort to get iso files i will try downloading from same place as you , and not selecting the "make to memory stick" option

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users