Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Can't Find Hard Drive After Spyware Infection

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 orangechicken505

orangechicken505

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 09 November 2009 - 04:07 PM

Hello,

I've had a major meltdown with my computer over the last week. Here's the series of events, maybe someone can help me.

I got a Spyware file last week, called logon.exe. When I attempt to delete it, the computer prompts that the program is in use and cannot be deleted. I attempted to start my computer in Safe Mode, and it did not work. This is where I make my first mistake. I set the computer to always start in safe mode using msconfig, only to cause a cycle in which the computer can never start up. Following the directions on this website, I change the BOOT.INI file name in DOS to BOOT.INI.BAK. This only causes my computer to prompt me with a warning at startup about a missing file. I make a disc image of a Windows XP startup CD-ROM and use it to boot and attempt to get into Windows System Recovery. I am successful, only to now find that my hard drive is no longer recognized, probably because it's a third party HD installed after my original died. I have read that I need to install RAID drivers from a floppy but I can't find them anywhere. I'm totally frustrated.

It's a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 250GB ATA/133 HDD. If anyone has any suggestions, I would be grateful. I backed up my hard drive a few months back but would love to at least get the data off the computer. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 09 November 2009 - 04:40 PM

To move data files from the system...remove the hard drive and temporarily attach it (directly, via USB, whatever) to a known good, well-defended system...and move the data files.

You will not be able to move programs or settings.

The necessity to install RAID drivers...only applies if the system is set up in a RAID...or the SATA drivers are the RAID drivers or included in same...and you are trying to install XP on a SATA drive. If any of those conditions are not met, there's no point in worrying about SATA drivers.

I don't use SR, but others here can help you with that.

FWIW: The hard drive you mention, Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 250GB ATA/133 HDD, is not a SATA drive, would not use SATA drivers.

I suggest going into the system BIOS...and determining if the hard drive is properly reflected.

If you are saying that your hard drive is not reflected when you access the Recovery Console...that could mean hard drive problems.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users