Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovering the Registry after a virus?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 tacks

tacks

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 09 November 2009 - 04:02 PM

Hi,

I'm having problems after a nasty bout with viruses -- can't access some programs, error messages, etc. I had SmitFraud, Windows Polilce and other nasties.

This trouble became apparent right after i downloaded some software for a 'WebConference' from a smallish accounting firm -- Back on 10/12/09.

Since then I've had to do the 'System Recovery' from the partition 2 or three times already.

Anyhow, i thought that i should do a 'System Restore' to a point before i had all this trouble. I was however disappointed to discover that i no longer had the restore points to go back that far. They've been deleted. I believe they were deleted because i ran out of hard drive space (which is another matter).

Furthermore i strongly suspect that running out of hard drive space was a reasons for having to do one of the 'system recoveries' from partition drive.

There is one particular tax/accounting program that i'd like to use. But i've always gotten error messages. Here is the latest error message that i get when trying to access it:

"[particular program].exe - .NET Framework Initialization Error

Please set registry key HKLM\Software\Microsoft\.NETFramework\InstallRoot to point to the .NET Framework install location"

After recovery i installed all critical updates through and including sp2. There were two '.net framework 1.1' updates that wouldn't install. So i reinstalled Net Framework 2.0 from microsoft. I did a full virus scan and repair with Alvira.

I did a scan with Uniblue Registry Booster -- it found about 200 problems. I did NOT use Registry booster to repair anything because i thought it might screw something up. (and after reading a bit i'm glad that i didn't use it to repair!)

So i'd like to get back to the way things used to be. But without 'system restore points' i'm not sure how best to do so.

Any ideas?

thanks

Other Info:

i have an hp pavillion 503n
1.7 Ghz celeron
125 RAM (yeah, i know, i should have upgraded)
40 gig HD

Currently i have 2.8 gig free on the C drive.
I have 1.2 gig on the D drive, the partition.

I have not done a defrag in over three months.

I have yet not installed sp3 for Windows XP.

I'll take some more junk off my hard drive while i'm waiting for a response.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users