Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

License to downgrade question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ingle

Ingle

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 09 November 2009 - 03:44 PM

Hi guys, I'm not sure exactly where to place this but hopefully this will be fine.

My question is if it is possible/legal to use a Vista Business key to downgrade to XP Professional. If not I'll need to convince my boss to purchase additional licenses, if so I'll just use the Business keys.

Thanks for your help!

Edited by Ingle, 09 November 2009 - 04:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Still_Learning

Still_Learning

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 09 November 2009 - 07:12 PM

Hi guys, I'm not sure exactly where to place this but hopefully this will be fine.

My question is if it is possible/legal to use a Vista Business key to downgrade to XP Professional. If not I'll need to convince my boss to purchase additional licenses, if so I'll just use the Business keys.

Thanks for your help!

wont work. you can only use they key for that specific operating system, you cant even use a windows xp home cd key to start up a windows xp pro machine. it just wont work.

if you have multiple machines that run windows vista go out and buy the family pack of windows 7 upgrades it gvies you three keys. and its only like 149$

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,680 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 09 November 2009 - 09:25 PM

As said, you can't use a Vista key on an XP installation, you need to use the appropriate XP key.

The downgrade process is explained here:

http://oem.microsoft.com/script/contentpag...x?pageid=552836

If not I'll need to convince my boss to purchase additional licenses

You will in any case need as many licenses as there are operating computers. The Vista downgrade rights only apply to XP being used on that computer instead of the Vista. That same Vista installation cannot under the license conditions be operated concurrently on any computer.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 Ingle

Ingle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 10 November 2009 - 12:43 PM

You say that it can't be done and yet the link you provide states:

Downgrade rights offer a practical solution. The customer can:

* Purchase a PC with Windows Vista Business preinstalled.
* Downgrade—at no additional cost—to Windows XP Professional.
* Move to Windows Vista Business at the appropriate time. The system is licensed and ready for conversion.

If XP doesn't activate online, then you have to call and give them the Vista Business license key.

It's possible I wasn't clear in my post. All of the Vista Business keys I was talking about are what originally came with the computers pre-installed with Vista Business. Thanks for the link though, it's helped me better understand the downgrade process.

if you have multiple machines that run windows vista go out and buy the family pack of windows 7 upgrades it gvies you three keys. and its only like 149$

Still Learning, so you know Home/Home Premium editions of operating systems are unable to connect to a domain for a business environment so that deal wouldn't work. Nice thinking though :huh:

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,680 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 10 November 2009 - 06:18 PM

Yes, you're right, it hasn't been clear precisely what you were asking about the Vista Business key. It seemed like you were asking if the Vista key could be provided to the XP installation and have it work because the Vista key is already activated. ("use a Vista Business key to downgrade to XP Professional"). Sorry if we've misinterpreted the query, we just wanted to make clear that a valid XP Professional key, not the Vista one, will have to be provided during the XP install.

But as you've said, once XP is installed, if it will not activate because that XP license is already activated, you'll need to contact Microsoft and provide the Vista Business key(s) that the downgrade install or installs are being licensed from and get the one-off activation code(s).

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users