Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VB 2008 on to a memory stick?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Wolfy87

Wolfy87

• Members
  • 414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 09 November 2009 - 12:20 PM

Hi all, I have a school project coming up and we have to make a game, this can be with pritty much anything and I chose VB, the problem is the technitions wont put VB 2008 express eddition on the school system but if I could get it to run off a memory stick that would solve me and my freinds problems.

Just wondered if anyone had heard of a portable version or if you think I could "crack" it as its called, I have done it with other IDE's but apparently this one is a bit more complicated to say the least.

Thank you for any help, Wolfy87.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 09 November 2009 - 01:40 PM

I think the problem with .Net is it needs .net framework. If thats not on the other computers then it won't run. You will find that the IT tech's won't install .net framework just for you.

You chose the wrong VB.

With VB6 it would be easy as the basic runtime files are installed on all WinNT systems.

P.S. We never talk about cracks on here unless you want to get banned. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#3 Wolfy87

Wolfy87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 414 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 11:32 AM

Oh sorry I thought a crack was making it run without install, my bad :thumbsup:, anyway, we have the .net framework I know that for a fact. I just wondered if it was possible to run without an install really.

I know small basic runs without install on the school system but come on, making a in depth game with it?

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 10 November 2009 - 07:26 PM

VB 2008 is MS software and it is unlikely that it can be run from a portable USB stick.

But you can run the open source alternative #Develop off a portable USB stick. The IDE of #Develop is similar to VB2008, but you may want to do some practice with it.

Download #Develop: http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SD/
Install it on your home computer
Copy the files and folders from its installation folder to your USB disk and make changes in config file as shown here : http://laputa.sharpdevelop.net/SharpDevelo...emoryStick.aspx

EDIT: You can open MS VB.net projects with #develop.

Edited by Romeo29, 10 November 2009 - 07:27 PM.

#5 Wolfy87

Wolfy87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 414 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2009 - 03:01 PM

Wow thats great, thanks Romeo, I have no problem with using a third party IDE so this is perfect.

Thank you so much once again from me and my freind. :thumbsup:

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 11 November 2009 - 06:40 PM

yw Wolfy :thumbsup:
But don't thank me, thank the open source community for producing a great software :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users