Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dvd rom wont read any discs anymore

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 eatxc07

eatxc07

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 09 November 2009 - 05:28 AM

Hi , can anyone help....My samsung sd616-e internal dvd rom drive will no longer read any discs (cd or dvd)..Device manager says its working ok ..When i insert a disc i get no disc symbol flash next to mouse pointer like i usually do and no disc is shown in the drive when i look at it in "my computer"..Also the green led on front of drive does not light when disc is inserted..I have unistalled device and re installed plus have run a cleaning disc but still nothing..Do i need a new drive? ..Any help would be appreciated ..Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 09 November 2009 - 11:52 AM

Do i need a new drive?

That would be my guess
Fortunately, they are relatively inexpensive
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 eatxc07

eatxc07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 09 November 2009 - 03:44 PM

Thanks very much.........do i need to replace with the same drive or can i fit any?

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2009 - 07:54 PM

Any desktop model will do
Just make sure the interface is IDE and not SATA
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 sra

sra

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 12 November 2009 - 05:03 AM

Any desktop model will do
Just make sure the interface is IDE and not SATA

I've nearly same problem. Dell XPS M1330 swallows the CD/DVD and then spits it out? Do i need to replace? What about another USB Xtrnl DVD Drive? Which make would be good ( i'm going for W7 soon).

#6 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:13 AM

I've nearly same problem. Dell XPS M1330 swallows the CD/DVD and then spits it out? Do i need to replace? What about another USB Xtrnl DVD Drive? Which make would be good ( i'm going for W7 soon).

You can replace the internal drive.
http://www.google.com/products?q=Dell+XPS+...+DVDRW&aq=f

If you don't want to risk damage taking apart your laptop, here's an external:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16827151194

Edited by RainbowSix, 12 November 2009 - 07:14 AM.

[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#7 sra

sra

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 15 November 2009 - 08:33 AM

Replace! Very Expensive...

Additional External is a good idea.

Thanks for the help :-)