Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Scan Selected Files

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Bub12

Bub12

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 09 November 2009 - 02:16 AM

Hi,

Recently posted here for another, but possibly related issue... http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/269492/dr-watson-post-mortum-debugging-error/

I have had no further postmortem debugger issues as indicated in the above link but I did receive another "unable to scan" message from Avast. Shortly before I thought my FF browser was acting strange as when I was logging into a Google Apps account, the Google favicon wouldn't load in the address bar & when I cleared my cache, Google was still pulling a user name that I had previously used, which is not normal considering the cache was cleared. The issue corrected & I then scanned.

The full system scam came up clean, however, as it happened the other day as described in my other thread, not everything could be scanned. This has never happened to me before with Avast. I also scan with MBAM & AdAware. I check all new website with MacAfee Site Advisor & run Spywareblaster so I would like to think that I am not infected but now I am not sure.

Here is one of the error & one of the warning reports that I pulled from the event viewer:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: avast!
Event Category: Client
Event ID: 90
Date: 11/08/2009
Time: 1:46:22 PM
User: N/A
Computer:
Description:
AAVM - scanning error: x_AavmCheckFileDirectEx: avfilesScanReal of C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\m29i26zi.default\sessionstore-1.js failed, 0000A413.

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: avast!
Event Category: Client
Event ID: 90
Date: 11/08/2009
Time: 1:46:22 PM
User: N/A
Computer:
Description:
AAVM - scanning warning: x_AavmCheckFileDirectEx [UNI]: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\m29i26zi.default\sessionstore-1.js (C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\m29i26zi.default\sessionstore-1.js) returning error, 0000A413.

There was another error of the same during the scan & a bunch of the warnings.

I recall updating FF Firebug recently so I followed the warning path above & found a bunch of Firebug files. I proceeded to delete Firebug, rescanned & this time, all files were scanned. MBAM comes up clean as well. Understand, that Avast has not considered any of these errors & warnings as infections.

Any ideas?

Attached Files

Edited by Bub12, 09 November 2009 - 11:54 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 09 November 2009 - 10:43 AM

Worth a read, IMO: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?action=pr...e;topic=40288.0

Not necessarily useful, but additional perspective, http://www.windowsbbs.com/windows-xp/47163...wer-errors.html

Louis

#3 Bub12

Bub12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2009 - 12:10 PM

Louis,

Thanks again! I will poke around the Avast forum. This all happened very late last night so all I had time to do was to post here.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2009 - 12:16 PM

Easily done :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 Bub12

Bub12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2009 - 12:58 AM

Hi Louis,

I also IMed you thinking you would be long gone from this thread. I've been doing some fiddling in areas of which I know little & am causing myself various levels of panic :thumbsup: & I thought you might be able to help.

Anyway, I have been continuing to look in my event viewer for signs of issues pertaining to this thread & the one below.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/269492/dr-watson-post-mortum-debugging-error/

Today I noticed a couple of warnings that I thought I would investigate which led me here,

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/e...p&LCID=1033

Well, I did not have any "TCP state SYN_SENT in the State column of the Active Connections information" so I figured I was ok but I started to poke around & searched for some of the IP addresses that did appear in the command prompt after typing in "Netstat -no" & the results made me nervous, although I do not understand what the results mean. Some IP's were Google, which I assumed were ok but one IP, for example, led me to the following:

OrgName: Level 3 Communications, Inc.
OrgID: LVLT
Address: 1025 Eldorado Blvd.
City: Broomfield
StateProv: CO
PostalCode: 80021

Seems to be a large, reputable company but some folks at McAfee Site Advisor have negative things to say, which is common with large companies.

So, would you be able to clarify some of this for me? Any help would be greatly appreciated Louis as I have yet to get a reply from the Avast forum, so I am still a bit concerned about all of the issues I have been experiencing. I am still thinking that I am not infected but just having some Windows & program issues. What do you think?

THANKS AGAIN!

Edited by Bub12, 11 November 2009 - 12:59 AM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:49 AM

I guess that I don't see your question.

Clarify what?

I'm no more familiar...no, I'm less familiar since I haven't read whatever you have and done whatever you have done...than you are with whatever your questions may be.

If you have networking questions...(assumption since you mention TCP/IP) then the BC Networking Forum is undoubtedly a far better place to try to get answers to such...than the XP forum, IMO.

I don't see any connection between where you seem to be going...and the initial post you made here. I don't use/have never used Avast and your initial issue clearly (IMO) indicates that the errors you reported relate to Avast. If uninstalling it, reinstalling it and updating doesn't address the issue, it seems to me that the Avast forum is the best place to pursue it.

Louis

#7 Bub12

Bub12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:36 AM

Hi Louis,

Thanks for trying :thumbsup:

I will post in the other BP forum then. I did get an answer from Avast finally but my latest questions here, I guess, do not not apply to the Avast warnings, so it seems. One thing leads to another which brought me to questions about things I am seeing in my Event Viewer which are not related to Avast errors but I thought that maybe somehow one problem was related to another if in fact I did have some infection or other issue.

I hope that made sense.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2009 - 11:13 AM

Anytime anyone suspects malware issues...the likely place to search minds is BleepingComputer.com - Am I infected What do I do - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/.

The possibility of malware...is not an XP issue either, it's a system security issue that needs to be addressed by the appropriate parties.

Everything that appears in Event Viewer...is not necessarily a problem created by the O/S...EV is the only communication tool (other than error messages) that the system has to use to communicate that "something is wrong", whether that "something" is the user, the hardware, the software, the O/S, or malware.

Although there is varied experience and willingness to help in the XP forum...there are other forums here at BC that better serve users in particular situations.

And, of course, everything on a system is somewhat interrelated, just as all the parts of your body interact as a whole. But if you have a toothache, you don't go to a podiatrist and ask her/him to treat it.

Louis

#9 Bub12

Bub12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2009 - 01:49 PM

Thanks Louis... :flowers:

I took your advice & posted in the other forum as well. I am sure they will just love following along.
The reason that I have been posting here is that I don't believe I am infected but rather in need of some OS, hardware & software understanding of what's happening & what, if anything, I need to do to remedy my issues.

So, thanks for all of your time & if you have any thoughts....I am listening! Gotta go to Subway now, going to buy a BigMac :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users