Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Running combofix in 32 bit Vista Ultimate broke URL shortcut icons!

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 askpcguy

askpcguy

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 09 November 2009 - 02:11 AM

I was hit with some spyware but managed to take care of it using Malware Bytes and TrendMicro's Housecall. For good measure I decided to run combo fix that I had downloaded a few weeks ago. After ComboFix completed (without finding anything suspicious) I restarted and discovered the IE8's favorites bar shortcuts no longer opened when clicked. I checked my favorites folder, same problem. I even tried to restore the Favorites Bar folder from a point in time last week but that did not solve the problem.

I even tried setting IE back to being default (I only use IE as my browser) and even reset the URL file association back to IE. Still cannot get the URL shortcuts to open in IE. Another strange thing, the shortcut icons display a blank file instead of the blue E with gold sash.

Anyone else seen this? My last image is from September 20th and I really don't want to jump back that far in time.

Any help would be appreciated, just as a comic relief I was saying today even how much I love Vista compared to XP. Ahhaha

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users