Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Imminent hard drive death

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 05 August 2005 - 03:44 AM

I just reformatted my computer, and when I start it I get the following message: Pri Master Hard Disk: S.M.A.R.T. Status BAD, Backup and Replace. I'm using it and haven't had a hitch since I reformatted it, is it a sure thing that my hard drive is on its' last leg?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 05 August 2005 - 08:14 AM

Usually it is a pretty good indicator that there are issues with your drive.
I would go out and get another hard disk.

However, if the computer is a secondary computer that is rarely used, or not used for anything important, I would wait until the hard disk dies. In some cases, I have seen a drive last a couple of years after getting this message...or, it could die today...

I compare this to the check engine light being on in your car...:thumbsup:

Good-luck.
JC

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 05 August 2005 - 11:41 PM

Het Joshuacat...I have a Maxtor hard drive and found out that they have a diagnostic tool call Power Max, I downloaded it and ran the extended test and found one problem which the program repaired. I went back into the BIOS and enabled the S.M.A.R.T. section and rebooted only to find the same BAD message, so I went back to the BIOS and disabled it. I guess I'll just have to live with it, and keep an eye on it. :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users