Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clueless with Vista, need to improve performence

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DogStar5988

DogStar5988

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 08 November 2009 - 09:13 PM

Hello again, a few months ago I was given a computer with Vista installed. The person I got it from has installed many many useless programs and god knows what else on it, when I got it it barely worked at all. I downloaded Malwarebytes on it and found over 300 viruses and malware items, so now that they are gone it works somewhat better. Until now I have really only used XP Pro which is what is on my personal laptop, so I really don't know what I'm doing with Vista. I don't even know how to find out what version is running on it or anything. So I was hoping that someone could help me to start the process of cleaning it out. Honestly I really don't care about anything that is on the computer so wiping it totally clean could be an option.
Thanks

Steps I've already taken:

1. Malwarebytes running

2. Tried to go back to earliest restore point (made no difference)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CoolCatBad

CoolCatBad

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 08 November 2009 - 10:35 PM

CCleaner will get rid of a lot of junk, use the file and the registry clean options.

http://www.ccleaner.com/

#3 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 09 November 2009 - 06:22 AM

hi,,,, to view which version and more info on the pc,,, use the search in start menu,,,, type system and hit enter,,, or press windows key+pause,,,,, also look in the windows configuration to see whats running on the start up,,,,, click start orb,,, type in msconfig hit enter and select start up,,,, un check all entry's apart from the security,,,, also if you have avg installed,,, get rid as this has issues with vista,,, use avast home free,,, also dont use zone alarm firewall with vista as they dont like each other either,,, download revo uninstaller and get rid of all unwanted programs and apps,, download asulogic defragger and defrag the pc ,,, and lastly,,,, how much ram is installed,,, as vista likes a lot of ram,,, 2gb is the recommended sweet spot on vista,,, all this should help it along,,
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#4 cotesy

cotesy

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 09 November 2009 - 10:13 AM

Without system spec. its hard to make a real comment on this one.
The last comments about untick everything and get rid of this and that is not a helpful one.

There are no issues with AVG and ZoneAlarm on a Vista setup - No more than any other AV or Firewall anyway. I setup an average of 20 machines a week and this is the combination I always use without problems.

The new AVG 9 Free is available now and the jury is still out on this one yet as there are known compatibility issues with ZoneAlarm, but either way the software still works on Vista and Windows 7 without problems. I usually stay clear of a new version until its had time to mature slightly so AVG Free 8.5 is fine.

Its all personal preference, I work on using software with the least problems and I've heavily tried and tested this combination.

Depending on the brand of your computer or its components if its a built one, some of the MSConfig items simply cant just be unticked as your system will need some of them to perform properly.

Windows Vista does operate best on a minimum of 2Gb RAM.

To check the system spec. on your machine, click the Windows Orb (Start) - Select Control Panel - Ensure its on Classic View (menu on the left) - click System. This should report the actual Version of Windows Vista and its Service Pack (if no SP mentioned its not had one yet and at least SP1 is recommended). This should also report the amount of RAM you have installed.

If you want more info on how to optimise your machine, please post the Windows Version (with Service Pack info) and how much RAM is installed.
A list of the startup items from MSConfig would also be helpful.

Cheers :huh:

#5 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2009 - 01:22 PM

post removed on reflection,,,,,,,,
good luck.

Edited by figgis41, 09 November 2009 - 01:33 PM.

Figgis,,,, LUFC

#6 DogStar5988

DogStar5988
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2009 - 05:55 PM

Here is the system info I dug up.
The computer is a HP pavilion mx704
Thanks for the help.

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Basic
Version 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 Build 6001
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name HOME-PC
System Manufacturer EMACHINES
System Model W3609
System Type X86-based PC
Processor Intel® Celeron® D CPU 3.33GHz, 3326 Mhz, 1 Core(s), 1 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Intel Corp. CF94510J.15A.0028.2006.1213.1629, 12/13/2006
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6001.18000"
User Name home-pc\carol
Time Zone Central Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 512 MB
Total Physical Memory 501 MB
Available Physical Memory 99.5 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.97 GB
Available Virtual Memory 2.20 GB
Page File Space 2.50 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

#7 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 09 November 2009 - 06:31 PM

Here is the system info I dug up.
The computer is a HP pavilion mx704
Thanks for the help.

Omitted...

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 512 MB

Omitted...

Yep, here's the problem; you have a very small amount of RAM. As others have stated, you will want at least 2GB of RAM for a usable system, so get this upgraded whenever you can.

Edited by MadDawg, 09 November 2009 - 06:32 PM.

A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#8 DogStar5988

DogStar5988
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2009 - 06:57 PM

How does one go about upgrading RAM? Thanks again

#9 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 06:02 AM

hi,,, i usually advise people to use the crucial site and let them scan your system,,, this will give you the info on your ram and which ram you can fit
here is the spec as regards your ram

* Your eMachines W Series maximum RAM capacity: 2GB
* The W3609 has 2 memory slots or sockets
* This W Series module upgrade PIN count is: 240-PIN
* The memory speed is: DDR2 533MHz, PC2-4200
* The Desktop NON ECC DIMM type for your W3609 is: UDIMM, Unbuffered DIMM, Unregistered DIMM

http://www.crucial.com/
then its up to you weather to buy it from them or shop around online with the info from the crucial scan.
fitting new ram is quite easy,,, but be very aware of static issues when working inside the case,,, use anti static wrist bands or always ground your self on a radiator or the case lid and make sure the power lead is removed,,,,

i would go for a matched pair of 1gb sticks of PC-4200,,,, 2x1gb=2gb
i hope this helps and meets with the approval of cotesy.

Edited by figgis41, 10 November 2009 - 06:04 AM.

Figgis,,,, LUFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users