Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

iMac MAC OS X 10.6.1 and PS3 wireless connection

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 08 November 2009 - 07:08 PM

I'm trying to wirelessly connect my PS3 to my iMac (the iMac is on the net via Ethernet to router LINKSYS which then goes to modem) but it (the PS3) won't connect to the internet yet it has acquired the iP address.

any ideas?

I get DNS server error.

Edited by Izzy, 08 November 2009 - 07:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 afunyun

afunyun

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2009 - 07:52 PM

This used to happen to me.

Try entering the DNS Server Address Manually and using the tertiary DNS server from your ISP as the secondary DNS server.

PSN - A_Funyun :thumbsup:

#3 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2009 - 09:07 PM

DNS Server is entered in manually, it is all correct but still give DNS Error.

when i look in airport, it says "AirPort has the self-assigned IP address 169.254.xxx.xxx and will not be able to connect to the Internet" I presume I need to do something with this but I don't know.

I just cheated and did it with the cable though a pain as I had to move the PS3 into the room where the net is do do whatever and then take it back.

Edited by Izzy, 09 November 2009 - 12:02 AM.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 09 November 2009 - 12:31 AM

The 169.x.x.x IP address means it was not getting a valid IP address from the router. So yeah you are going to have issues. If you are doing an ad-hoc wireless from the MAC to the PS3 you'd need to look into how to do that. You can't just say ok my MAC has wireless and the PS3 has wireless...connect and expect it to work. Something has to give the PS3 a valid IP address. And why are you doing it that way? Why not connect the PS3 wireless to the router?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2009 - 06:57 AM

why should I buy a wireless router when I already have a wireless and bluetooth Mac that is ethernet connected to my router that's connected to the modem which was working when I had a laptop connected that way. I tried for 5 hours and it just doesn't work so I'm not gonna bother, case closed. it isn't MAC it is the PS3 because its SONY.

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 09 November 2009 - 09:35 AM

Well that was silly of me to assume that you had a wireless router. But as I said you're trying to set up an ad-hoc wireless connection and you'd need to look into how to do that on the MAC. This site explains it not in great detail but it should get you in the ball park.

And its a sad day when you blame a piece of equipment for doing just what you tell it to do. Its not smart enough to figure out your intentions only your actions.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#7 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2009 - 04:18 PM

companies make out their products are smart and wonderful when in fact they are just as dumb as people.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users