Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Personal Guard 2009

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 tmcmahon2

tmcmahon2

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 08 November 2009 - 06:01 PM

Hello

Recently my computer was infected with the personal guard 2009 virus. I have looked up solutions on multiple websites but none of them seem to work. I tried downloading Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, but it wouldn't run, even after renaming it. I tried to delete the program manually but it kept coming back within 10 seconds of deleting it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 08 November 2009 - 06:14 PM

Hello and welcome.

Please download Rkill by Grinler and save it to your desktop.Link 2
Link 3
Link 4
  • Double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.
  • If using Vista, right-click on it and Run As Administrator.
  • A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
  • If not, delete the file, then download and use the one provided in Link 2.
  • If it does not work, repeat the process and attempt to use one of the remaining links until the tool runs.
  • If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please let me know.

Rerun MBAM (MalwareBytes) like this:

Open MBAM in normal mode and click Update tab, select Check for Updates,when done
click Scanner tab,select Quick scan and scan (normal mode).
After scan click Remove Selected, Post new scan log and Reboot into normal mode.

Next run ATF and SAS:
Note.. SAS doesn't open the registry hives for other user accounts on the system, so scans should be done from each user account.

Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

From your regular user account..
Download Attribune's ATF Cleaner and then SUPERAntiSpyware , Free Home Version. Save both to desktop ..
DO NOT run yet.
Open SUPER from icon and install and Update it
Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
Close browsers before scanning.
Scan for tracking cookies.
Terminate memory threats before quarantining
Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program. DO NOT run yet.

Now reboot into Safe Mode: How to enter safe mode(XP)
Using the F8 Method
Restart your computer.
When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
Click the Empty Selected button.

If you use Firefox or Opera browser click that browser at the top and choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program

NOW Scan with SUPER
Open from the desktop icon or the program Files list
On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
Perform a Complete scan. After scan,Verify they are all checked.
Click OK on the summary screen to quarantine all found items.
If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.

To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log.
A text file will open in your default text editor.
Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
Click Close to exit the program.

Please ask any needed questions,post logs and Let us know how the PC is running now.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 tmcmahon2

tmcmahon2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2009 - 01:46 AM

Okay so I downloaded rkill and the black msdos box appeared and it appeared that the program ran successfully but mbam still wouldn't run after that. I even uninstalled it and reinstalled it after running rkill again and the program still wouldn't run. I didn't go on to the next steps because I forgot to mention that my computer displays the blue screen whenever I try and boot up in safe mode.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,492 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2009 - 02:57 PM

Some rootkits can terminate your security tools by changing the permissions on targeted programs so that they cannot run or complete scans. Further investigation is required to determine if this is the case with the issues you have described.

Please download Win32kDiag.exe by AD and save it to your desktop.
alternate download 1
alternate download 2
  • This tool will create a diagnostic report for me to review.
  • Double-click on Win32kDiag.exe to run and let it finish.
  • When it states Finished! Press any key to exit..., press any key on your keyboard to close the program.
  • A file called Win32kDiag.txt should be created on your Desktop.
  • Open that file in Notepad, then copy and paste the entire contents starting with Running from... to Finished!) in your next reply.
Then go to Posted Image > Run..., and copy and paste this command into the open box: cmd
press OK.
At the command prompt C:\>, copy and paste the following command and press Enter:
DIR /a/s %windir%\scecli.dll %windir%\netlogon.dll %windir%\eventlog.dll >Log.txt & START notepad Log.txt
A file called log.txt should be created on your Desktop and open in Notepad.
Copy and paste the contents of that file in your next reply.

-- Vista users can refer to these instructions to open a command prompt.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 tmcmahon2

tmcmahon2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 12:52 AM

This is what I got from the win32kDiag:

Running from: C:\Documents and Settings\Tim\My Documents\Win32kDiag.exe

Log file at : C:\Documents and Settings\Tim\Desktop\Win32kDiag.txt

WARNING: Could not get backup privileges!

Searching 'C:\WINDOWS'...

Finished!

This is what I got from the second thing:

Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is 4036-AEEE

Directory of C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB968389$

08/04/2004 05:00 AM 407,040 netlogon.dll
1 File(s) 407,040 bytes

Directory of C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\cf8ec753e88561d2ddb53e183dc05c3e

04/13/2008 06:12 PM 181,248 scecli.dll

Directory of C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\cf8ec753e88561d2ddb53e183dc05c3e

04/13/2008 06:12 PM 407,040 netlogon.dll

04/13/2008 06:11 PM 56,320 eventlog.dll
3 File(s) 644,608 bytes

Directory of C:\WINDOWS\system32

08/04/2004 05:00 AM 180,224 scecli.dll

02/06/2009 12:46 PM 408,064 netlogon.dll

08/04/2004 05:00 AM 55,808 eventlog.dll
3 File(s) 644,096 bytes

Directory of C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,492 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 03:27 PM

It looks like you need to run HJT/DDS.
Please follow this guide. go and do steps 6 thru 8 ,, Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Hijackthis. Then go here HijackThis Logs and Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal ,click New Topic,give it a relevant Title and post that complete log.

Let me know if it went OK.

#7 tmcmahon2

tmcmahon2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:15 PM

The scans went fine and the logs are up. I attached the rootrepeal report and the 2nd part of the DDS scan like it said in step 8.

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,012 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:26 PM

Hello,

Now that you have posted a log here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/270606/personal-guard-2009/ you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

Please be patient. It may take several days, up to two weeks perhaps less, to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible. I advise checking your topic once a day for responses as the e-mail notification system is unreliable.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users