Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 7 upgrade taking extremely long

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 kroepoek

kroepoek

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 08 November 2009 - 04:38 PM

Ok, a while a go i bought a new pc (acer m7720). Back then Vista was installed. Now last friday i got my "free" upgrade from acer. I read some info on the internet, stating that with my PC and settings and so on, the upgrading should be done in 2 hours. The first time i ran it, i let it run for about 48 hours. By that time the gathering of settings, userfiles and applications (rough translation from dutch to english) was at about 77%. I figured this was due to the fact that the pc wasnt connected to the internet all the time (as it said it required internet). After that first time i ran it again and its now at 32% (also still gathrering of settings userfiles and applications). Now im wondering if someone has any idea on what i am doing wrong. A last thing that might be the problem is the following: at the beginning of the upgrade it warned me of 1 driver and some applications not being compatable yet with windows 7, though i could still proceed the installation. I hope someone has any idea on what could be the problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 08 November 2009 - 04:57 PM

There could be any number of things; It should be connected to the Internet. I am not sure how the installer handles that situation, but given that it is required, then my supposition is that every time the OS tries to install a driver, it looks for an Internet connection to see if there is an updated driver. Depending on how long it takes for the system to time out, there may be a delay of 30-60 seconds before the installer tries to continue.

It also depends on how full your hard drive is, available ram, etc. Really, there are quite a few things that could effect installation time.

#3 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 08 November 2009 - 05:12 PM

Suggestions:

Unplug all unnecessary USB devices and try again.

If you have a wired USB Keyboard and a wired USB mouse, use them rather than a wireless set.

When you run the Windows 7 upgrade advisor, what items, if any, did it say were not compatible?

There is a point in the Win 7 installation where it does take some time and looks like nothing is happening, but 48 hours?

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 09 November 2009 - 01:29 AM

but 48 hours

Agreed. In 48 hours, something is not right. The only reason that I asked about freezing is because most of the time (no exaggeration) when people tell me something froze, it hung for like 9 seconds. So I always ask.

When you run the Windows 7 upgrade advisor, what items, if any, did it say were not compatible?

Yep. We really do not have enough information to give you good help at this point, because we really do not know enough yet.

#5 kroepoek

kroepoek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2009 - 08:28 AM

Ok thanks for the help so far.

It should be connected to the Internet. I am not sure how the installer handles that situation, but given that it is required, then my supposition is that every time the OS tries to install a driver, it looks for an Internet connection to see if there is an updated driver.

After the first try (which took about 48 hours) i tried upgrading again, this time it was connected to the internet. This last time it didnt really went any faster.

It also depends on how full your hard drive is, available ram, etc. Really, there are quite a few things that could effect installation time.

I have and 1tb harddrive though the only thing installed was the standars OS files and maybe 3 or 4 applications. As i was only running the installer it couldnt be a RAM problem either. Also during the installation i took a look at my CPU usage and it was using just 1%.

@ johnwho, no wireless devices plugged in here. Also the windows upgrade advisor told me everything was fine, though during the installation it told me that the following driver might not work afterwerds and that i should update it first (didnt find any updates for it). That driver is named: AL7CPXAZ IDE controller (storage controller).

One last thing: at a certain point on the installation it asks me what type of installation i want to choose (either upgrade or a custom installation). Seeing this info on the microsoft website, maybe its an good idea to do an custom installation? (as i currently dont have anything important on this pc...)

#6 kroepoek

kroepoek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2009 - 12:39 PM

K, i tried that custom installation, though at the final step where it is finishing the installation, it wont go further. When i try aborting the installation it says that i cant abort the setup at this stage, cause then the PC might not be used at all. Does anyone has any idea what i should do?

#7 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2009 - 04:45 PM

I'm not sure what the "AL7CPXAZ IDE controller" is. When I do a Google search I get nothing. Is it possible that this is for a "multi-card" reader in your PC? If so, try disconnecting it when you attempt the Win 7 install. Ditto if it is for a Floppy Disk Drive.

Also, what I meant wasn't just wireless devices - any non-necessary USB device such as your printer, scanner, external HD, external speakers, etc. could be causing a problem with the install, so I would disconnect all of them, at least to get you through the install.

What I'm hoping is that if you limit your system to only those absolutely necessary devices it will get through the install, especially since it passed the Win 7 Advisor.

Let us know, OK?

#8 kroepoek

kroepoek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:14 AM

All it says that its and storage controller (translated from dutch to english), i got no clue either what it could be. Though when i wish to disconnect this device i do something in the BIOS right? Cause i dont have any experience with this...

Also i tried installing with only the standard mouse, though that didnt help. By the way, its not for a floppy disk drive as i dont have one.

PS, real thanks for ur help so far. Though your saying that the windows installer is not supporting some hardware? I can barely imagine that as i would expect that microsoft would've taken care of that?

#9 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:58 AM

I think we still need more information.

Do you have a multi-card reader installed?

#10 kroepoek

kroepoek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 02:06 PM

Well i do have alot of inputs (tv card etc) so i think i do have one yes. When i look at the specifications of my pc here it says it has an 18 in 1 memory card reader, though is that what you mean?

#11 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 05:09 PM

... 18 in 1 memory card reader, though is that what you mean?

Yes, that is what I'm suggesting. You will need to open your case and disconnect the cable or cables that attach to the inside of that device.

This is the only way I know to eliminate the possibility that it is what is causing the problem.

Attempt the upgrade again after you've disconnected that device.

Let us know if this makes any difference to the upgrade/install, OK?

#12 kroepoek

kroepoek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2009 - 05:53 AM

hm i do not really feel like opening my PC and plugging out some cables. Though i went to the store yesterday and they said that i could just bring my PC to them and they'll do the job. So thats what im trying first.

By the way i still would like to thank you alot for your help and time (ill be sure to keep you updated).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users