Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista screen freezes

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 08 November 2009 - 04:34 PM

I need info on how to fix a screen freeze for a client. The anti virus is not up to date, can this be the problem or will a system restoe be an option? Alan
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 09 November 2009 - 06:30 AM

hi,,,, take a look in task manager to see if something is running heavy on the cpu,,,,,,, also download malwarebytes free version and update virus definitions and run a full scan,,,,, then download the installer for avast home free anti virus and revo uninstaller,,,,, take the pc off line, use revo to uninstall the anti virus in the pc,,, if it is norton or mcafee also run there removal tools,,, then install avast and register it and it will update automatically for a year, then just re register it,,, make sure all windows updates are upto date,,, just the os updates,,, then take a look in eventviewer for more info in the issue your having,,, this could lead you to the culprit,, like a dodgey graphics driver or the like,,,,,
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#3 audioAl

audioAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:08 AM

hi,,,, take a look in task manager to see if something is running heavy on the cpu,,,,,,, also download malwarebytes free version and update virus definitions and run a full scan,,,,, then download the installer for avast home free anti virus and revo uninstaller,,,,, take the pc off line, use revo to uninstall the anti virus in the pc,,, if it is norton or mcafee also run there removal tools,,, then install avast and register it and it will update automatically for a year, then just re register it,,, make sure all windows updates are upto date,,, just the os updates,,, then take a look in eventviewer for more info in the issue your having,,, this could lead you to the culprit,, like a dodgey graphics driver or the like,,,,,
good luck.

Thanks figgis41, I went into "Safe Mode" , uninstalld McAfee using it's uninstaller, rebooted, installed Webroot, ran the scan and quared the 142 cookies, no viruses? Then I downloaded Ccleaner ran it, and removed lots of needless games and other programs. It's running fine so far, no call back yet, Thanks again,Alan
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

#4 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:35 AM

good to hear,,,, :huh:
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#5 audioAl

audioAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2009 - 06:12 PM

good to hear,,,, :huh:
good luck.

Figgis: It happened again? Event viewfinder? How do I go there? Thanks in advance,Alan

#6 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 10:45 AM

hi,,,, event viewer ,,, click start orb>type event viewer in search box and hit enter,,, when event viewer open look in the last hour section then look in critical and error,,,,
also look in reliability and performance monitor,,,, type into search box again,,,, then when in there click on reliability monitor on the left and look for red X's,,, click on them for more info,,,,
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#7 audioAl

audioAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2009 - 04:14 AM

hi,,,, event viewer ,,, click start orb>type event viewer in search box and hit enter,,, when event viewer open look in the last hour section then look in critical and error,,,,
also look in reliability and performance monitor,,,, type into search box again,,,, then when in there click on reliability monitor on the left and look for red X's,,, click on them for more info,,,,
good luck.

Got ya, Thanks, I've practiced on my Vista. This client didn't even have sp1 let alone sp2. So, yesterday I installed both in 3 boring hours. Well, you got to make a living somehow, and I'm not building many HTPC's at the present. Cheers Figgis, send me your bill,Alan

#8 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2009 - 05:45 AM

hi Alan
0.00 VAT TAX @ 15%

0.00 TOTAL
payable at the end of each working month :huh:
Figgis,,,, LUFC