Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cleaning and Repairing an Old Toshiba

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 08 November 2009 - 03:47 PM

I have an old Toshiba Here that is running poorly, my aim is to keep it as an emergency PC to get on line,

primarily for 2 reasons, check my email and to get to BC when my working PC has a Problem.

So, I am looking at the Startup List in msconfig. and the third entry is ;

SystemTray SysTray.Exe

From the BC Startup List This seems to be not needed and possibly a malware of some kind.

AS I look at the instructions for running Autorun and determining if I can get rid of this, . .

will it do me any good to uncheck it from the Startup list in Msconfig. ?

I will do that asap, . .

This is a W98 OS and has 48MB of RAM so it seems that it will be difficult to D/L a Malware scanner.

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,758 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2009 - 11:43 AM

You can use MSConfig to check for suspicious or unnecessary applications loading at startup when Windows boots. Although it works as a basic startup manager, msconfig should not be used routinely to disable auto-start programs. It is a temporary solution and not a good practice for the following reasons:
  • When uninstalling programs while disabled with msconfig, they may not be uninstalled properly and manually editing the registry will be required to remove everything.
  • Msconfig will often leave orphaned entries when software is uninstalled. When used to switch back to normal startup mode, these orphan entries can result in boot up errors.
  • Msconfig only allows you to disable entries. To completely remove an entry from its' list you have to edit the registry, or use a third-party tool like Msconfig Cleanup Utility or a startup manager.
  • Msconfig allows malware related items to hide in your registry which you may not see or affect your computer until switched back to normal startup mode. This could then result in reinfection of the computer.
  • Msconfig does not list all applications loaded in all possible startup locations (some entry points are hidden and unknown to the user).
You should not use msconfig to disable startup applications related to services. Doing so alters the registry and there are services that are essential for hardware and booting your system. When you uncheck a service in msconfig, you completely disable it. If you uncheck the wrong one, you may not be able to restart your computer. You should only disable services using the Services Management Console (services.msc) where you cannot disable services that may be vital to boot your system.

A better alternative is to use a startup manager like:If you are unsure what any of the program entries are or if they are safe to disable, search the name using Google or the following databases:Determining whether a file is malware or a legitimate process sometimes depends on the location (path) it is running from. One of the ways that malware tries to hide is to give itself the same name as a critical system file. However, it then places itself in a different location (folder) than where the legitimate file resides and runs from there. Another techinique is for the process to alter the registry and add itself as a Startup program so that it can run automatically each time the computer is booted. A file's properties may give a clue to identifying it. Right-click on the file, choose Properties and examine the General and Version tabs.

Tools to investigate running processes and gather additional information to identify them and resolve problems:These tools will provide information about each process, CPU usage, file description and its path location If you right-click on a file and select properties, you will see more details.

Anytime you come across a suspicious file which you cannot find any information, the file has a legitimate name but is not located where it is supposed to be, or you want a second opinion, submit it to Jotti's virusscan or VirusTotal. In the "File to upload & scan" box, browse to the location of the suspicious file and submit (upload) it for scanning/analysis.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 01:47 AM

You may not appreciate this but I could use a critical eye, just in case you might see something that does not look right, . . in any case this is a windows 98 OS and I am use to WXP, I can not find the Services under the Administrative tools as a matter of fact I can not find Administrative tools.

I think there's a lot of stuff in this machine that needs to get straightened out, I am willing to use the tools you suggested, but would appreciate your evaluation as brief as it may be.

Is there an event viewer for W-98 OS ?

This looks a little skeptical to me.
Toshiba msconfig Opening
Posted Image

msconfig Startup list
Posted Image

msconfig Win.jpg
Posted Image

When I drag this it reproduces itself
Toshiba Task Manager.jpg
Posted Image

I am having some problems with the COM2 Port
I think I can figure that one out

But I am also having problems with the Dynamic link Library

msnp32.dll
The system cannot load the dynamic lbrary link library key msnp32.dll
The system cannot find the specified, some or all of the following features is not available.
Microfsoft Network

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,758 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:52 AM

You won't find the services in older operating systems. I just provided all the info about msconfig in case you also have access to a new machine. That way you would know to leave the services alone. If you are not familiar with them, here are some links to read when you get a chance.

About Windows Services
Windows NT Services
Services Guide for Windows XP

Office StartUp and MS Find Fast are already unchecked and disabled (as I would recommend). If you disable a program from starting, then you will have the Selective startup enabled, where the startup options are changed.

The Selective startup uses the Windows utility Msconfig to configure which programs or drivers will be loaded the next time you start the computer. In the Msconfig dialog box, you mark which items from the previous list that you want to run or not run on the next startup. Unlike diagnostic startup, selective startup gives you the option to prevent specific applications from launching from the Windows registry and Startup folder. This means you have the advantage to select specific processes to load or not load, making it easier to eliminate processes and to eventually determine which process is causing the problem. After making changes in Msconfig the computer needs to be rebooted in order to allow the changes to take place. When doing this, you may encounter a popup warning when logging on that indicates "You have used the System Configuration Utility...". This is normal and you can just click ok or check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box to prevent future warnings from appearing.

The Diagnostic startup is interactive in that it prompts you to load or not load specific components. You can do a diagnostic startup by choosing diagnostic startup from the Windows MSConfig utility and then restarting the computer, or by restarting the computer and pressing the key F8 early in the startup process. During the diagnostic startup, you choose to load or not load each specific component. Unlike a selective startup, a diagnostic startup does not allow you to select individual items to load or not load from the StartUp folder and the Windows registry. This startup is intended for advanced users who understand how each component affects Windows.

The other startup entries are legit.
scanregw.exe
taskmon.exe
systray.exe
powrprof.dll

As for the error, please refer to Error Message: Unable to Load the Dynamic Link Library: Msnp32.dll

If a file has become corrupted or is missing, you can use the System File Check Utility to extract a new file from your Window Installation CD. SFC verifies the integrity of your system files and will scan for missing, altered files and prompt you to restore them if it detects changes or a corrupt file.

Your options are to scan for altered files or extract a single system file from the installation disk. If your scanning for altered files, and Windows detects a change, it will ask what you want to do.
1. Update verification
2. Restore file
3. Ignore
4. Update verification information for all changed files

To extract a specific single file, type in its name under "Specify the system file you would like to restore". Browse to location of the system file (cabs) on the Windows CD. Browse to the path where the file taken from the CD should be saved and click OK. See an example of such an extraction here.

Sometimes SFC mistakenly extracts files from the wrong CAB resulting in Windows Protection Errors or the inability to start the OS. If that occurs, you need to extract the problem files reported by SFC manually using the Extract utility. SeeHOW TO: Extract Original Compressed Windows Files and SFC Extracts Incorrect File Versions.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 04:08 PM

After reveiwing the MS page explaining the error,
Unable to load the dynamic link library:msnp32.dll
I did not think I needed it, . .
I removed the Microsoft Network Client, . . .
the Unable to Load the Dynamic Link Library: Msnp32.dll
did not reappear,

This is an old Toshiba, Windows 98 machine so I will keep it just to provide me with a minimum communications system, . .

I believe I can at least sort out my options to fix, . . which concern ;

Can not find Device File that may be needed to run Windows or a Windows Application.
The windows registry or SYSTEM.INI filerefers to this device file, but the device file no longer exist.
If you deleted this file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated application using its or set up
application.
If you still want to use the application associated with this device file, try re-installing it that
application to replace the missing file,
vnetsup.vxd
vredir.vxd
dfs.vxd

Your thorough coverage will make a good reference and more than likely will help others, . .

and is appreicated.

Many thanks.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,758 posts
  •