Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't go past "HP Splash" screen

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 85551200AA

85551200AA

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 08 November 2009 - 03:34 PM

Hi,

I accidently spilt about a teaspoon of alcohol on my keyboard, and now my keys are dead. When I try to turn it on, i get that annoying "beeping" noise/alert thing that you get when you have key pressed down. However, my caps lock key does work. I'm using a different computer at this time because i cannot get past that splash screen. Please advise me on what I need to do. I'd prefer to try to repair it myself, if at all possible.

My Computer:
HP Pavillion Notebook dv2-1030us
Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2009 - 05:18 PM

Unplug it, turn it upside down and set it on a rag for a few hours
The longer the better
Was this medicinal rubbing alcohol or a drink?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 85551200AA

85551200AA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2009 - 05:50 PM

It was just plain rubbing alcohol. Also, I have had it upside down since about 3PM EST.

#4 85551200AA

85551200AA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2009 - 08:00 PM

Also, If I do need to send this to HP, is there a way I can back up my files even though I cannot turn it on? There are a lot of files I need that are on that computer, that can't be duplicated easily.

Thanks!!

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2009 - 08:23 PM

fortunately, The alcohol should evaporate rather quickly, possibly without any damage

The only way to get the files off of it would be to install it in another computer with a laptop hard drive adapter or use an external hard drive enclosure
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#6 85551200AA

85551200AA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2009 - 08:48 PM

OK. If it's not working by tomorrow, can you give me some instructions on how to do that and what i need to buy in simple english? Sorry, technology isn't really my strong suit anymore.

#7 85551200AA

85551200AA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2009 - 12:11 PM

Hi Again,

Unfortunately it is still not working. All of the keys seem to be dead, but on startup, it isn't making that "beep" sound as it did yesterday. Don't really know if that's a good thing or bad thing.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2009 - 07:45 PM

Battery charged and the power module plugged in?
Mark
Posted Image

#9 85551200AA

85551200AA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2009 - 07:47 PM

Yes. It turns on still and it doesn't have the "beep" anymore, and it's gotten past the splash screen, but now I get a recovery menu, and it wants me to select either run windows vista, or a diagnostic tool, but it won't let me use the arrows to choose, hit enter to select the one it's on, or esc to go back.

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 05:09 PM

Any way to beg, or borrow a keyboard you can plug in to try?
Mark
Posted Image

#11 85551200AA

85551200AA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 05:52 PM

Yes, I tried that. Luckily it works, and parts of my laptop keyboard work. Some keys work regularly, a lot of them are just dead, and some, such as my "M" key does "Y" and my "Y" key does "YM" not sure why it can do 2 letters, but it does. So I guess my next step is to find a new keyboard for my notebook? Do you know of somewhere online I can find one?

#12 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:52 PM

The keys may start working again with time. If you don't carry the laptop around a lot, just use an external keyboard.

Edited by RainbowSix, 10 November 2009 - 09:53 PM.

[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users