Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows won't start and BSOD comes up.

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 cap2587

cap2587

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 08 November 2009 - 03:18 PM

I have a Dell Power Edge 400SC computer running windows XP. There was some errors on the hard drive that I went ahead and fixed via Disk check. Unfortunately since then I have not been able to get into windows. My system starts up and goes to the screen that says Safe Mode, Last Known Good Config, Windows normally. All of those options do not work and as soon as I choose any of them I get a blue screen. The BSOD is on the screen for 2 sec and I can't really read any of it. Then computer restarts and it does the same thing again. I don't think there is anything wrong with the hard drive as I have tried it in another system and it works fine. I even reinstalled the OS by putting the drive in another system. For some reason I am not able to boot from a CD/DVD as the initial screen pops up immediately and doesn't take me to the CD. What are your thoughts and things to try. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 08 November 2009 - 04:38 PM

On most Dell systems you need to press F12 when the Dell logo appears on the screen to get to a boot menu.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2009 - 06:28 PM

I have done that to select disk drive. For some reason it just doesn't want to boot from the CD. Any other ideas? Thanks

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2009 - 06:33 PM

Maybe try another CD?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2009 - 07:06 PM

Under Drive Configuration in the Bios the Hard drive and the floppy are the only one's listed. The primary Hard drive is my H.D. Shouldn't my Disk drive be the Primary slave drive. Thoughts.

ps it is not the disk as I have tried many bootable one's

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2009 - 07:22 PM

If the CD drive is not recognised in the BIOS then maybe it's faulty.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2009 - 07:28 PM

I was able to prevent restart when I got to the blue screen and the error below was listed.

stop:0x0000007b

What do you think?

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2009 - 07:34 PM

This error means that Windows cannot "see" the boot device.

I would double-check all your cable connections to make sure everything is connected and seated correctly.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2009 - 07:50 PM

Everything seems to be connected properly. Is it possible that I have a boot sector virus. My hard drive is fine when I put it in another PC. Maybe I should try another Hard drive in the problem computer. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2009 - 07:58 PM

Even if it was a boot sector virus I don't think this should prevent you from booting from a CD.

It wouldn't hurt to try another drive.

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2009 - 08:38 PM

Thanks Budapest for staying with me on this topic. I need to be able to boot from the CD. The connection seems okay and I have tried other CD drives in the machine. The light comes on and the CD drive opens up. I don't see the CD drive located under Driver sequence in the Bios. This is strange as the Hard drive and the floppy are there. I have diskette drive listed in the boot sequence and have selected this to be the 1st option. It just seems like the start up screen with safe mode, start normally comes up so quickly the machine doesn't have time to boot from the CD. Shouldn't I still be able to boot from the CD even with a boot sector virus. Not really sure what else to try. Ideas.

#12 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 04:28 PM

When you hit F12 at boot, is there an option to boot from the CD?

—George Bernard Shaw

#13 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:45 PM

It says Boot from the diskette Drive. I guess this is the same as CD/DVD drive?

#14 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:02 PM

The Diskette Drive would refer to a floppy drive. The CD drive should be list as IDE CD-ROM Device.

Edited by Budapest, 10 November 2009 - 09:03 PM.

—George Bernard Shaw

#15 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:07 AM

That means that the CD drive is not being recognized in the Boot sequence or in the Bios. I have tried other CD ROm drives without any luck. I am at a loss as to what to do?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users