Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice on Netbooks

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DogStar5988

DogStar5988

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 08 November 2009 - 03:10 PM

Hey everyone, I was thinking of getting a netbook and was looking for opinions between the two that I have narrowed my choices to. We already have a laptop and a desktop but the laptop is literally falling apart and is no longer mobile. So I was looking for something simple to go online with and use simple programs on (Word, maybe Exel). So the two I am looking at are the Acer AOD150 and the AOD250, I know there are better Netbooks out there but I'm only looking to spend about $300 and I can find these for about that price. Based on the research I've done these both look like what they would fit my needs. So what do you think? Does one look much better than the other?
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2009 - 03:22 PM

It appears that ACER has different versions withing the AOD150 and AOD250 lines, so you might want to look closely at the differences.

The two models appear very similar, but the 250's have LED backlit screens and may also have longer battery life. There are HD size differences, too, from what I can tell.

It might help if you tell us exactly which models you are looking at.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 DogStar5988

DogStar5988
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2009 - 03:34 PM

Sorry, it is the Acer Aspire One AOD250-1165 and the Acer Aspire One AOD150-1044. Thanks again

#4 DogStar5988

DogStar5988
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2009 - 09:26 AM

Also I should point out that the AOD250 looks like it has vista installed. I am not really a big fan of Vista and like XP a lot more which is what the AOD150 has.

#5 DogStar5988

DogStar5988
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 04:43 PM

No opinions? I'm kind of running out of time, I need to buy this in a few days.... any opinion would help. Thanks

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 12 November 2009 - 05:04 PM

Since you want opinions...

From when I've bothered to look at the specs...a netbook is a netbook, regardless of the name and model.

It won't have an optical drive, it will be appropriate for most routine things users do on a system, it will not be upgradeable. I think of netbooks as "throw-away computers"...I've been considering purchasing one.

Two things stop me...I consider an optical drive a necessity for any laptop...and I don't really like the idea of having something that I know was not made to last and which I (myself) cannot repair or at least replace components on.

If I wanted give a netbook to someone...I'd do them the favor of actually buying a notebook with standard features...and back that up with at least a 3-year warranty for those times when things go wrong.

In 3 years, it will be time for a change.

Louis

#7 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 06:51 PM

I recently purchased an Acer AO751h netbook and was quite happy with it. It's 2.4 lbs and quite nifty to haul around to restaurants or coffee shops.

It's got a 11.6" screen and a larger and much better keyboard than the 10.1" screens.

Downside: just try to find a sleeve that fits the odd size. Linux doesn't like it - Kubuntu doesn't want to fit the screen correctly. They'll probably get that fixed soon. I tried Netbuntu, but with the large, clear screen a full-blown OS works better.

Big downside - the memory just failed a couple of hours ago. I was browsing the net and Firefox suddenly disappeared and the screen went blank. Attempting to restart, I got a blue screen with a memory management failure.

I've ordered another stick of memory from Crucial - I'll report how well that went in about a week.

Another possible downside is that it's running Vista. I'm thinking that they were hoping I'd get suckered into buying 7 when it became available. Now, I thought Vista was running just fine - much better than I would expect. The only problem was when running A/V scans on the 250 GB hard drive. (Yeah - two hundred fifty gigs!) Installing things is a bit slow, too. Browsing is fine and you can watch Youtube vids as long as you don't try to go full-screen. Speakers are pretty worthless unless you just want to hear the ding when Windows starts. But headphones work fine.

Built-in webcam and mic and 3-hr battery with an available 6-hr battery for about $80. 2 gigs of RAM.

And it was $298 at Wal-Mart. I had originally wanted a plain old netbook but they only had this one in stock. It's a lot more computer.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,563 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 07:57 PM

FWIW: You can use a program like Easeus Partition Manager...to chop that one large partition (which is an operational liability) into a 20-30GB Windows partition and various other storage partitions. Makes system management a little easier and diminishes the risk of catastrophic data loss if something goie wrong with the NTFS file system on a partition.

Easeus Partition Master - http://www.partition-tool.com/easeus-parti...g-partition.htm

Just because the system comes like that...it doesn't have to remain that way :blink:.

Louis

#9 tobyo

tobyo

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 29 November 2009 - 10:14 PM

Two things stop me...I consider an optical drive a necessity for any laptop...

hope noone minds me butting in, but was reading this thread and had a question about hamluis' statement above. why is an optical drive a necessity for you?

thanks from another netbook owner wannabe :blink:

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,563 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2009 - 06:00 PM

The optical drive is a necessity...because the vast majority of programs...which require installation on Windows in order to be used...utilize an optical drive for installing those programs.

Not to mention that Windows itself requires either an optical drive to install/repair from the Windows CD/DVD. I add DVD, although I'm not sure that's true...I installed Win 7 from DVD, but I really haven't played with it much yet.

Additionally, most utilities that don't require Windows to be operational and which are diagnostic/maintenance/repair in nature...require use of an optical drive to do those things.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users