Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HD and XP Install issues

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 fuzzycasserole

fuzzycasserole

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 05 August 2005 - 12:41 AM

I recently decided to build my own computer. These are the parts I used:

Asus P5AD2-E Deluxe Mobo
Pentium 4 550 (3.4 ghz) CPU
2 GB RAM
Sapphire Radeon X800 GPU
Creative Audigy 2 ZS
Samsung Combo CDRW/DVD Drive
Lite-ON DVDR Drive
Western Digital Caviar SE 200 GB 7200 RPM HD

After assembling all these pieces, I was finally ready to boot up.

After a few false starts (power not connected to video card, etc), I came upon a problem I couldn't remedy. In fact, 2 problems.

When I boot up, at the screen titled "IDE Scan," it recognizes my two disk drives and hard drive. However, it also says the following:

"Warning!! An Ultra ATA/66 (or faster) drive is connected with a 40-pin IDE cable on the primary channel. Drive speed is downgraded to Ultra ATA/33 mode"

The thing about this error is that it's wrong. As I understand it, Ultra ATA/66 and faster drives are connected via a 40-pin, 80-conductor cable, instead of the Ultra ATA/33's 40-pin, 40-conductor cable. However, I am 99% sure I am using an 80-conductor cable. I'm using the cable which came bundled with my ASUS mobo, and according to the manual, it one of "2 x Ultra DMA/133 Cables." As far as I can tell, that IS an 80-conductor cable. So I am clueless about why this error is appearing.

However, as I see it, I should be able to continue anyways, just with a slower HD data-transfer speed.

Unfortunately, this is not the case.

I am not sure if this error is related, but it seems like a much more grave issue. When I attempt to install XP from the CD, it appears to be working fine, at first. It enters Windows Setup, and loads a whole bunch of things (drivers, etc, I think?), before it says "Startiong Windows." However, after it says this, I get blue-screened. The error says:

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHDISK /F to check for hard drive corruption and then restart your computer.

Technical Information

***STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78D663C, 0xC000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)"

This error appears, even with the HD disconnected. I don't think the problem is even the HD, because it's brand new, so shouldnt need to be formatted, and obviously has no viruses. As you can guess, this worries me. I have no idea how to look up those technical codes at the end of the error message, but I think that they could shed some light on what exactly the issue is.

I doubt this has any kind of relevance, but the install disc I'm using came with a (now broken) HP laptop, and is branded with the HP logo. However, it's identical to a standard XP install disc as far as I can tell.

Thank you so, so, so much for reading this incredibly long plea for help, and even moreso if you can find a remedy to any of these issues.

-Zev

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 05 August 2005 - 02:14 AM

MS Knowledge Base

Above link is what MS says about the BSOD error.

It could be the cable supplied is faulty. If you have another 80pin cable to try I would swap the cables.

I had a similar problem but in reverse on a PC and got the same message, I connected a ATA100 drive with a 40pin cable as the motherboard would only support ATA33 so I didn't think it would matter and I didn't want to waste a 80pin cable when there would be no benefit. However windows wanted none of it and BSOD every time, switched the cable to a 80pin and then the PC booted.

My other question is you say it's scanning IDE have you connected your HDD to the raid controller?

Your MOBO?

The onboard Silicon Image Sil3114R and ITE 8212F RAID controllers plus the Intel ICH6R southbridge provide the best solution to your RAID requirements on different storage standards. The Intel ICH6R supports RAID 0, 1 and Intel Matrix RAID Technology on 4 Serial ATA ports. The Silicon Image Sil3114R controller offers four additional SATA interfaces and allows RAID 0, 1, 10, JBOD, and a RAID software patch to support RAID 5. For IDE hard disk drives, the ITE 8212F controller provides RAID 0, 1 , 0+1 functionality for two ATA133 channels.

Intel ICH6R South Bridge:
- 1 x UltraDMA 100/66/33
- 4 x Serial ATA with Intel Matrix Storage Technology with RAID 0, 1 support
Silicon Image 3114R RAID controller:
- 4 x Serial ATA, RAID 0, 1, 10, 5 (RAID 5 software patch available, no WHQL)
ITE IDE RAID controller:
- 2 x UltraDMA 133/100/66 with JBOD, RAID 0, 1, 0+1 support

You may need to initialise your hdd on the raid array if this is the case or install the raid drivers press F6 during the XP load sequence this is the first screen you will see.

Or have you connected your DVD-Roms to the raid channel, if so put the hdd on the raid.

Apart from the above can't think of anything else to suggest.

Edited by stidyup, 05 August 2005 - 02:14 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users