Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CCleaner

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 janelle834

janelle834

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 08 November 2009 - 02:11 PM

My Registry has nevr been cleaned, my computer is quite a few years old, and has had lots of use. Problem is I don't want to go anywhere near the Registry, it makes me nervous :thumbsup: I have CCleaner. How good is It's Registry Cleaner? Is it easy to use? Any info would be helpful.......

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 08 November 2009 - 02:33 PM

Bleeping Computer does not recommend the use of Registry cleaners.
Unless you have a specific problem you're trying to correct, it's best to stay out of the Registry.
Registry cleaners mark entries as bad, depending on what the software creator "thinks", is bad.
That's why no 2 cleaners will find all of the same, "problems".
Registry "problems" actually have very little effect, on the overall performance of the operating system.

Please see this article:
XP Fixes Myth #1: Registry Cleaners

If you're not experienced with working in the registry, DO NOT ATTEMPT IT.
Improper changes to the registry could render your computer inoperable.
If you do insist on using Registry cleaners, ALWAYS backup the registry BEFORE making any changes.
Instructions, on how to do that, can be found here:
How to back up, edit, and restore the registry
(I highly recommend, you make a copy of this article.)
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 janelle834

janelle834
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 08 November 2009 - 03:39 PM

Thanks for the warning! While I would never attempt the Registry on my own, I know quite a few people who use Registry cleaners. I thought that they would be safe.

#4 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 08 November 2009 - 08:18 PM

CCleaner is fairly gentle on the registry. Rarely a drastic change that would upset the computer.
That said, read this old, long, thread where several experts contribute their facts and opinions
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099

Edited by tos226, 08 November 2009 - 08:19 PM.

#5 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 09 November 2009 - 03:11 AM

The problem with any registry cleaner is they delete files. The files they delete, sometimes other programs use them. No cleaner can be 100% positive that the files it deletes won't be needed by another program at sometime. I use CCleaner to clean out my cookies. I used it once on my registry, it deleted something that stopped 2 programs from running. I did a system restore and all was OK.

I say, don't mess with the registry. If your computer is running fine, leave it alone. If your computer is slow, there are ways to clean it up and help it run faster HERE IS A PLACE TO START.... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#6 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 11 November 2009 - 03:19 AM

I agree with those who say not to use registry cleaners. I have used one registry program for many years and trust it, but still, I ended up letting it remove registry entries that I thought were of no use to me only to later discover that I actually had the program on here for some of those entries. Because I deleted the registry entries for it, I could not use that program when I wanted to.

I gained nothing from having it clean out the registry and ended up losing the ability to use a good program.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users