Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

64-bit wireless issues. Very slow download speed and browsing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hmabrantes

hmabrantes

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 08 November 2009 - 12:41 PM

After the upgrade my internet would only be recognized after i would install the driver that came with the CD and what i think is an older version of it in the same folder. That's the only way Windows 7 would see a wireless connection.
Now that it's recognized my internet speed won't get passed 2Mb when it's actually suposed to be 20. Plus after doing something i don't really know what my signal won't go over two bars in five when it used to be always with three or more.
I have been trying to ping some websites through DOS and i have been getting 100% loss on everyone. Still i am able to browse the net very slowly. The Fact is that the speed variates all the time.
I have also been doing a lot of speed tests online obtaining various results. I have 20Mb of internet speed but on this computer i can only reach 3Mb, normally less. One time, one single time in speedtst.net i got 15Mb, i thought i had fixed it but then 30 seconds later i tried again obtaining 2Mb. My neigbour came here with his notebook and tried it, he got 15Mb. So it's really soemthing in my pc, with windows 7.

Motherboard/NIC: XFX nForce 650i Ultra/SMWUSB-G 802.11g wireless USB 2.0 Adapter #2 (no clue of why the #2 it wasn't there before)

CPU Architecture: x64

Upgrade or Clean Install: Upgrade from Windows 7 x32 to x64

Driver details: With the x32 everything worked well. After upgrade the driver that came with the CD stopped working. Windows 7 wouldn't see wireless connections. The NIC wouldn't be recognized. Right now in my "program's list" i have 2 SMCWUSB-G 802.11g Wireless USB Adapter. One's version is 2.0.0.0 and the other is 1.0.0.2.

What i have tried to fix it:

- NForce 650i driver update
- DOS command "netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled"
- DOS command "netsh winsock reset calatog"
- TCPOptizmier: gotten only worse and i think it was when my signal started to get weaker.
- Disaled IPv6 in internet options
- Disabled QoS

Event Viewer is presenting me more than 75.000 errors among which these occur very often:

- TCP/IP failed to establish an outgoing connection because the selected local endpoint was recently used to connect to the same remote endpoint. This error typically occurs when outgoing connections are opened and closed at a high rate, causing all available local ports to be used and forcing TCP/IP to reuse a local port for an outgoing connection. To minimize the risk of data corruption, the TCP/IP standard requires a minimum time period to elapse between successive connections from a given local endpoint to a given remote endpoint.

- The PCASp50a64 NDIS Protocol Driver service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified. (this one is like 50.000 times)

- Faulting application name: setup.exe_SMCWUSB-G 802.11g Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter, version: 12.0.0.58851, time stamp: 0x45e5fc0e
Faulting module name: ISSetup.dll, version: 12.0.0.58851, time stamp: 0x45e5fbd0
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00092e5f
Faulting process id: 0x3b8
Faulting application start time: 0x01ca45e8ac15bf20
Faulting application path: C:\Users\...\Desktop\SMCWUSB-G_DRV_v1.0.0.9 (Vista included)\Drivers\setup.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Temp\{A6A5D37D-5DD7-4E05-B286-D0AF6223EE3E}\ISSetup.dll
Report Id: f2efb720-b1db-11de-ba83-00044b06c5cb

- Session "Microsoft-Windows-Setup" stopped due to the following error: 0xC0000188 (this one SEVERAL times as well)

- WLAN AutoConfig service has successfully stopped.

- Custom dynamic link libraries are being loaded for every application. The system administrator should review the list of libraries to ensure they are related to trusted applications.

I saw SMC created a Windows 7 driver now, i was using the Vista ones since W7 can use the vista drivers.Anyway, after downloading it i saw they only provided two .sys files and a few .inf. So i don't really know what to do with them. I'm getting pretty desperate here. :huh:

Thank you

Edited by hmabrantes, 08 November 2009 - 12:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 08 November 2009 - 12:56 PM

there are a couple of things you can try. First, you can open your device manager, find your wireless card in the list under network adapters, then select 'update drivers'. Let your system connect to the Internet to try and find a newer or better driver.

Why did you do all of these:

- DOS command "netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled"
- DOS command "netsh winsock reset calatog"
- TCPOptizmier: gotten only worse and i think it was when my signal started to get weaker.
- Disaled IPv6 in internet options
- Disabled QoS

My guess is at this point things are so mucked up (throw out the TCPOptimizer.. they never really optimize anything) that you may simply have to remove all of oyur network adapters through the device manager, reboot, and let the system reinstall the adapter. Once it reinstall it, then try upgrading the driver again as before.

Right now it sounds like the adapter profile is so screwed up that it is just limping along on default settings.

#3 hmabrantes

hmabrantes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 08 November 2009 - 03:27 PM

Helo, thank you for answering. Not many people have adventured in this quest with me.

I tried those things because i was trying to get my internet speed up again and a few people + some google search led me to do it. I had already given up TCPOptimizer a few weeks ago but before i did it i restore windows defaults through it.

I have also tried what you sugested, the driver update but after i did that i had no more wireless again. So i had to do all the process again: install the driver that came with my CD and then install the older version of it in the same folder, then my wireless was there again. SMC has just released a new driver for windows 7 but after downloading it i see they only provide 2 .sys files and 3 .inf ones. No installer whatsoever, so I don't know how to proceed. I placed the .sys files in the system32/ drivers/folder and the .inf ones in another one i forget now. It didn't seem ot make much of a difference though, or any.

Thanks,

Henry

#4 rpdmatt

rpdmatt

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 08 November 2009 - 09:05 PM

I'm in the same boat you are in. I just tried this with x64 to no avail. I also downloaded the drivers from SMC and tried to update the adapters drivers with the new ones from SMC. Windows said that the drivers updated successfully and I could view the adapter in the Network Manager window, however I could not view any wireless networks. I've also tried running the vista installer using compatibility mode, but that didn't work either. I'm not sure what SMC was thinking with these "new" Windows 7 drivers either, because when I update the adapter drivers with the Windows 7 ones, the driver dates are from sometime in July 2008, which makes me think that they simply redistributed some old Vista drivers. I'm sceptical that they even tried these drivers out before releasing them...

Hopefully someone has a solution. Btw, the adapter works without any configuration in Ubuntu... go figure.

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 08 November 2009 - 09:21 PM

The best suggestion I could give at this point it to harp on SW.

#6 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 11 November 2009 - 09:21 PM

I was using a NetComm wireless USB adapter prior to installing Win 7 x64, and found there were no drivers available for this.

Replaced it with a spare Belkin I had, and Windows found the drivers OK. You may have to upgrade your wireless adapter.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#7 rpdmatt

rpdmatt

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 12 November 2009 - 12:18 AM

Viola! I finally got it to work. Hmabrantes, go here: http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?event=downloa...Type=1&os=0 and download the Windows Vista Driver.

After downloading the file, just extract it and you should get a bunch of sub folders for drivers for different operating systems from Windows 98 on up. The one you want to use is in the folder WinXP64. DON'T use the installer that comes with the drivers though! That won't work, I think if you do that the program will try and determine the best drivers for your system, but it gets it wrong, or at least it did with me. What you want to do is open up the Windows Network and Sharing Center and click on Change Adapter Settings on the left of the screen. Find the adapter and left click it to view the properties.

From here you can manually change the driver that Windows associates with the device. Once you are in Properties go to Configure > Drivers and you can choose to update the driver. From here make sure to browse to wherever you downloaded the drivers and select the folder for the WindowsXP64 drivers.

Hope this works for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users