Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 "BOOTMGR is missing"

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Cristobal Miguel

Cristobal Miguel

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 08 November 2009 - 11:53 AM

Hello everyone,

I just spent a few hours with this and figured I'd let the world know of yet another silly installer issue with Microsoft Windows.

While installing Windows 7, there will be a list of hard drives that you can install to. If there is ANY drive higher on the list than your intended install drive, Windows 7 will install the BOOTMGR to that drive instead of the drive you installed to. This makes for an interesting problem. After the installation has finished, when you select your installed drive as the boot device, you get "BOOTMGR is missing" error. Then, when you select the drive that was higher on the list as your boot device, you get Windows 7 booting up FROM THE OTHER INSTALLED DISK.

Solution: While installing, if there is any disk higher on the list than your intended install disk, shutdown, disconnect the drive, and restart into the Windows 7 installation. Make sure your intended installation disk is the top drive on the list. That will get you past this on the install.

NOTE: After the first strange install, I tried running the bootrec /fixboot, bootrec, fixmbr, bootrec /rebuildbcd and none of them worked, so I suspect there's something more behind the scenes that I'm missing. However, I am not interested in a study of how it all works right now, so I'm doing the reinstall.

...reminds me of the Windows XP installer arbitrarily calling a flash card reader C: and installing to F: making for a beautiful F:\WINDOWS installation.

Best,
Cristobal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 08 November 2009 - 12:40 PM

Interesting. I have 2 other drives with several partitions on each, and Windows 7 installed to my C: drive with no problem. Are you drives SATA or IDE?

Thanks for sharing. :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users