Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'd like to upgrade my laptop's cpu. I need some help.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 NickS606

NickS606

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 08 November 2009 - 11:45 AM

Okay so I have a Gateway laptop. My current processor is Intel Pentium T4200. It is a socket P 478. It's only at 2.00ghz. I just don't really know what I should be looking for when looking for a new cpu. Can someone help me with this? I usually buy from Tigerdirect and Newegg so feel free to post links from those sites if you are able to with the info I gave you. If you need more info let me know.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 babicz

babicz

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 08 November 2009 - 12:05 PM

Ok well first we need to know what you use your computer for, for example gaming, multitasking (iTunes+internet+Microsoft Word), or very light use (just one or two small programs at a time). Or do you already know if you want a new, more powerful processor? Or just the same because it's not working well...(I'm just giving examples) Because first we want to know how much power you're going to need out of a new processor. Once you figure that out, we'll move on :D
GL

Alex

Edit: Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~ tg

#3 NickS606

NickS606
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2009 - 12:10 PM

Well I use it for gaming and college work. So I want more power.

#4 babicz

babicz

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2009 - 12:19 PM

Awesome. So we're probably looking at a duo processor, as they are becoming more popular nowadays and not that expensive. An Intel Pentium core 2 duo processor(<-- this is Intel's name for their duo processor) or similar(other companies have different names, obviously, but same power) is what we're looking for. So if you want to stick to Intel, then just search for the appropriate Core 2 Duo processor. If not, then we have to do some research on other ones, as I really don't know much outside of Intel :thumbsup:. Depending on the games, anything above 1.8/1.9 should probably be fine. Now we have to look for them in stores, and make sure they're compatible with your computer. Once all is done, I suppose compare prices and you should be good to go! We'll see how is goes.

Edited by tg1911, 08 November 2009 - 12:24 PM.

#5 NickS606

NickS606
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2009 - 12:28 PM

Well okay then. I guess I'm looking for at least 3.0ghz. So I found this one and I guess I need to know if it's compatible.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=P4...478&cat=CPU

If not compatible is there a place you know of where I can find cheap ones because I was on Newegg and I saw one for about $500.00 which was way more than I thought they would be.

#6 babicz

babicz

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2009 - 12:59 PM

Well compatibility is in the socket. The socket is how many pins there are on the processor and how they're arranged. Because your computer can't change the amount of pin openings in it, you have to find a processor with the right amount for your computer.
500$$$? Well that's obviously wrong haha.
Try this:
http://www.esaitech.com/commerce/catalog/p...roduct_id=53209

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2009 - 01:11 PM

Just a question...you do realize that this is a laptop...that you are talking about upgrading the CPU on, right?

I don't think that's normally done.

Louis

You may want to take a look at some links on such, http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=r...mp;oq=&aqi=

Edited by hamluis, 08 November 2009 - 01:14 PM.

#8 babicz

babicz

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2009 - 01:34 PM

Haha yes yes, but it's a start, no?

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 08 November 2009 - 01:56 PM

babicz,
When replying to a post, don't use the QUOTE button under the post, unless there is something specific in the post, that you want to quote.
Either use the button at the top of the page labeled Add Reply, or one of the 2 buttons at the bottom of the page, labeled Fast Reply, and Add Reply.
It keeps from cluttering up the board with unnecessary quotes. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users