Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Brand new PC crashes with Blue screen after trying to 'back up files' integrated in Windows-7 (64 bit)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ScottyK

ScottyK

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 08 November 2009 - 09:50 AM

Hi, Just bought a HP 6 GB of Ram, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
When I try to back-up all my files using the 'Back-up' feature integrated in Windows 7, it fails...
It will back-up about 3/4 of the way then:
Everything freezes up and when I finally restart my PC, the blue screen comes up, but seems to work after reboot.
I am trying to back up my files to an external Maxtor One Touch drive
Its a brand new PC and frustrating. I already created a boot-up disc and image snapshot of my C: Drive with no problems.
Ive read online of similar Windows 7 64 bit users having the same EXACT problem, so I believe its not distinctly my PC.
Any suggestions..
Thanks alot for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 08 November 2009 - 01:00 PM

Define 'freezes up?" Does the Window grey out and say "not responding' in the title bar, or does it simply look like nothing is happening. What is the error message that comes up on the blue screen? How much data are you trying to back up? Backups on my system takes hours.

#3 ScottyK

ScottyK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 08 November 2009 - 02:44 PM

No, it doesnt freeze like that..It freezes where everything is so slow it is on a 7 second delay (example: if I click a folder it wont open it for 7 seconds, if I move the mouse, the cursor wont move until 7 seconds later)
Also open windows freeze completely and I can not open or close them.
There is an error message, but I didnt write it down..It didnt say anything self explanatory.
I'm not backing up too much data as this is a brand new PC and I left all my movies, music and picture on my back up drive up only.
I dont think I will use the built in feature, but just transfer important files manually :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users