Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 KMF

KMF

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 08 November 2009 - 09:46 AM

New computer June 2009. Came with Vista. This started out as a problem about 3 weeks into the computer. I would get the "explorer has stopped working" message, asked if I want to end a program or go to Microsoft for a solution. No matter which I clicked, the window closed and I had to reopen it. I sent information to BC and thought perhaps I'd already been hit with maleware, virus, something. It was nothing they could see.

They recommended I contact Microsoft. In the meantime, I got the new CD for Windows 7. Now, I get the explorer message, but the system re-starts explorer. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to this. It's happened several times since installed 7 (yesterday) and last time it crashed the window before it restarted explorer. All I'd done is right-clicked my desktop to change the wallpaper!!!

I'm readying about the explorer thing all over the internet on blogs and such, but absolutely no solutions to the issue. Only one suggested I make some change to the registry keys and I'm not going there without some trusted help.

Okay....trusted help, please!!!!

While I have you on the line, I also wanted to install some extra fonts to my font folder. The "install new fonts" option is not in the drop down file menu. I'm not offered the option when I right click the "fonts" folder, either. Any suggestions????

Thanks

KMF

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Senlis

Senlis

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:04 AM

The first thing you can do is install a backup browser for your computer, specificall firefox. mozilla.com/firefox. Since IE8 is not working, you may have to download it with another computer and transfer it over.

One possibility is malware (specifically adware/spyware). Run malwarebytes from malwarebytes.org. It does not have an active scanner, so it should not interfere with any other anti-virus on the system.

You can also run chkdsk (chkdsk c: /r). I consider that routine with almost every problem.

I'd have to check to see if you can uninstall and re-install IE8 on that OS. Can't do that until I get back home.

#3 KMF

KMF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:42 AM

Sorry. I should have been more specific; I thought, since the problem was so widespread it would be understood that it's WINDOWS explorer that keeps erroring out; not IE. I don't use IE. I only use Firefox.

I've run Malewarebytes; and Spybot, and Ad-Aware, and AVG. I sent the logs to BC when the problem first occurred. They couldn't find any problems with the logs. Since I've updated to Windows 7, the problem has gotten worse; now I not only get a message that Windows Explorer has stopped working, it restarts itself and shuts down all the windows I'm working it.

#4 Senlis

Senlis

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:47 AM

Did you already have Windows installed and then used the update feature of Windows 7 or did you format the hard drive and install Windows 7 clean?

#5 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 12 November 2009 - 04:24 PM

When Windows 'needs to shut down' or crashes .... type eventvwr in the start search box. Click on the icon then view the event that caused it.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#6 KMF

KMF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:18 PM

In response to the last 2 posts, I started with Windows Vista. I only upgraded to 7. I was having the problem prior to updating to 7. In Vista, I was getting the "Windows explorer has stopped working" and it would ASK me if I wanted to end my program or go to Microsoft for a solution. Either selection ended the program I was in but did not restart explorer.

Now, it automatically gives me a "Windows explorer is restarting" after I get the shut down message and all usually all the windows close. It's entirely random....it happened once when I right-clicked on desktop to change my bloody screen saver!!! WTH??? From blogs and discussion groups I've been in, this isn't isolated; it's fairly widespread. I just can't believe there isn't a solution out there.....somewhere.....ANYWHERE?????

As for the eventvwr, I'll try that next time I get the message.

Thanks.
KMF

Edited by KMF, 12 November 2009 - 07:24 PM.

#7 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:50 PM

The thing about supposed 'widespread issues' is that other than a common result, there is rarely a common cause. Any number of issues can cause Explorer to crash. For instance, malware can can cause system critical files to become corrupted. Updating the system may have merely transferred the malware to your updated system. The exact same thing happened when people upgrade from XP to Vista.

Once we see your event logs, we may have a better idea of what is happening, but an issue only is widespread if people with the exact same hardware as you, with the exact same software as you, are experienceing the same problem. Up to that point, the problem can be caused by literally an infinite combination of hardware and software. I know you are frustrated, but it may have been something as simple as you failed to disable your AV when updating.

#8 KMF

KMF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2009 - 06:28 PM

As I stated in my original post, the error started occurring before I upgraded. The computer was brand new; nothing changed over and nothing added. I had my external hard drive scanned and checked before I transferred anything to the new CPU. I also contacted BC and had them check all my logs and they couldn't find anything either. They suggested I contact Microsoft and provided a thread re: the issue. None of the solutions included in the thread related to my system.

I realize there could be an infinite number of reasons why Explorer keeps crashing, but, when you see the same complaint over and over again on blogs and sites addressing tech issues, you have to wonder if it's not something inherent in the program. Microsoft doesn't exactly have the best track record and even they conceded there was a problem; they just don't provide a solution to help me.

I was hoping there would have been more about it since Windows 7 came out; apparently not. I'll keep searching.

Thanks for the assistance.

KMF

#9 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2009 - 07:17 PM

Your error logs should tell you what is causing the crash. I guess I don't see that anybody asked you about that yet.

#10 KMF

KMF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 12:22 AM

Someone suggested I check events under the Administrative tools, if that's what you're talking about. There are a number of errors in there...some prior to my purchase of the computer??? I don't know what I should be looking for? Here are some of the errors I've found. Some go back to the start from when I first got the computer. The FIRST thing I did after setting it up was load AVG Free; Spybot, and AdAware. The second thing was to take my external HD with my old computer info to a pro to have it scanned and checked for any viruses, maleware, adware, spyware, etc. All of these errors occurred today; the last two just after I got your last message. I tried accessing the folder and got a Runtime error saying the file had closed incorrectly or inappropriately and would not reopen. I got Windows Explorer stopped working messages four times trying to access it and finally rebooted the system. Anyway, if you can make heads or tails of this, I'd appreciate it.

1 - Activation context generation failed for "c:\program files (x86)\spybot - search & destroy\DelZip179.dll".Error in manifest or policy file "c:\program files (x86)\spybot - search & destroy\DelZip179.dll" on line 8. The value "*" of attribute "language" in element "assemblyIdentity" is invalid
2 - Activation context generation failed for "c:\program files (x86)\windows live\photo gallery\MovieMaker.Exe".Error in manifest or policy file "c:\program files (x86)\windows live\photo gallery\WLMFDS.DLL" on line 8. Component identity found in manifest does not match the identity of the component requested. Reference is WLMFDS,processorArchitecture="AMD64",type="win32",version="1.0.0.1". Definition is WLMFDS,processorArchitecture="x86",type="win32",version="1.0.0.1". Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.
3 - Activation context generation failed for "c:\program files (x86)\Python\Lib\distutils\command\wininst-8_d.exe". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.DebugCRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50608.0" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis
4 - Activation context generation failed for "c:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Advisor\hpsudelpacks.exe".Error in manifest or policy file "c:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Advisor\hpsudelpacks.exe" on line 2. Multiple requestedPrivileges elements are not allowed in manifest.
5 - Faulting application name: Explorer.EXE, version: 6.1.7600.16404, time stamp: 0x4a765771
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5be02b
Exception code: 0xc0000374
6 - Faulting application name: mmc.exe, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bc808
Faulting module name: msvcrt.dll, version: 7.0.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bdfbe
Exception code: 0x40000015

Edited by KMF, 14 November 2009 - 12:40 AM.

#11 BMuLL

BMuLL

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2010 - 06:08 PM

My wife and I purchased new PC's back in August 2009.. Both came with Windows Vista Home Premium 64 Bit Operating Systems.

Wife's PC: Gateway SX2800
My PC: HP p6110y

About a month ago, I installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit on my PC...... So far I have not noticed this issue at all on my PC.... neither with Vista or Windows 7.

Just a few days ago I installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit on my wife's PC and she is having the exact same issues. However she had been having these issues for a couple months now.

I have opened and run the Administrator's Command Prompt and run the 'sfc /scannow' system scan..... But after the scan was finished, it found no corrupted files.

But anyway...... I am not trying to high-jack anyone's thread......... I am just trying to offer what I can about the issue. Who knows maybe some day we can all get this issue resolved.

Hopefully this will help somewhat.

Thanks,

BMuLL

#12 Arioch13

Arioch13

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 29 January 2010 - 01:35 PM

I have been having exactly the same experience. Started with Vista 64 Bit home premium. Persisted through my Windows 7 Trial. I am now back to Windows Vista 64 (Long story, MS wont sell me Windows 7 in the country where I have my business) and I still have the same problem.

I have gone over it and asked for help before but no one seems to be able to nail the problem.

I just got someone to check the old machine (still has a copy of 7 on it) The error message which was coming up on 7 for this fault looks like the following in even viewer.

Event 1000

Exception Code 0xc000041d.
Module Path is: CWindows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

explorer.exe
4aebab8d
ntdll.dll
4a5be02b
c0000374
00000000000c6cd2
b48
01caa10d7591956e
C:\Windows\explorer.exe
C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
5cdcee95-0d01-11df-87c9-001fbc00d2d3

#13 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 29 January 2010 - 05:17 PM

Did you do a "Clean" install?

I would suspect that if the last OS (Vista) was having problems and you installed Windows 7 over the top, then the problem would persist.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#14 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2010 - 05:28 PM

Did you do a "Clean" install?

I would suspect that if the last OS (Vista) was having problems and you installed Windows 7 over the top, then the problem would persist.

...I started with Windows Vista. I only upgraded to 7. I was having the problem prior to updating to 7. In Vista, I was getting the "Windows explorer has stopped working"...

That seems to be the case here. :huh:

Without a clean install, there isn't much you can really do. Sorry. :huh:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#15 KMF

KMF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2010 - 01:15 PM

Well whatever it was, an update must have corrected it...it hasn't happened since my last post. Thank you all very much for your help and suggestions. :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users