Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unchecked Startup goes back to checked

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 CelticFrost

CelticFrost

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 08 November 2009 - 09:45 AM

Hello, I have gone into msconfig and have unchecked some startup programs that I dont want to run at startup because its been taking a long time for my pc to start and come to a idle. When it ask me to restart I do so and then when I log back on it seems to be slow and doing same thing. I run the msconfiq and select Startup and notice that everything I have unchecked prior is again checked. Any ideas how to fix this? Thank you all in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,563 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2009 - 10:12 AM

Msconfig is intended to be a diagnostic tool, not a startup manager.

That's the basic reason that everything reverts to normal upon reboot...msconfig is not intended to keep startup items from starting.

To do that, there are several tools that you can take a look at. Some are listed below.

Startup Inspector - http://www.windowsstartup.com/startupinspector.php

Startup Control Panel - http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

AutoRuns for Windows - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx

Autoruns is my preference...but users need to be cautious when using it and read the instructions. Autoruns will display ALL startup items, whether they be Windows components, drivers, typical items classified by users as "startups", etc. The typical startup items are listed on the Lognon tab of the program and anyone desiring to manage startups should confine herself/himselft to that tab.

Louis

#3 CelticFrost

CelticFrost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2009 - 10:31 AM

Thank you, I will look at that Autoruns for Windows.

#4 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 08 November 2009 - 11:18 AM

The advice from Hamluis is good and Autoruns is a good tool.

Out of curiosity and if it is not an invasion of your privacy, what are the item(s) that would not stay unchecked?

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#5 CelticFrost

CelticFrost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2009 - 02:06 PM

Everything I checked. HpBootOp.exe, rundll32.exe, NvCpl.exe, realsched.exe, ISUSPM.exe

#6 CelticFrost

CelticFrost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2009 - 02:13 PM

Weird thing also is that under the logon tab in Autoruns the only thing on that is HpBootOp cant find the others.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users