Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Failure

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 joshuafox

joshuafox

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 08 November 2009 - 04:34 AM

ok so what happened was i was playing some music on my computer and just on myspace and my i was on my computer and my anti virus said it detected a trojan virus i hit qurantine because that sounded like the best option to choose and then my computer just shut down and now it will load up the boot screen but then shuts itself off if i try to go any further i have tried booting it up off the black screen with all the options like

boot in safe mode

and etc

and every option doesnt work it always gets to the load screen with the loading bar and the windows symbol and then it will stall for like 10 seconds and then has a blue screen that pops up but it go's away so fast i cant read what it says and like i have some sort of OS special thing that before my computer fully boots up and loads windows i can use it to surf the web or look at pics or a couple other things like skype internet games and all that and i tried that and it works just fine

also my house we just moved into is somewhat new so we just have one cord with our internet to use and if i have the internet hooked up to my computer it does all that above (but if i dont have the cord in like right now cause im on our other computer) anyways when its not hooked up to the internet the computer tower will come on and the lights are on but it wont do anything my moniter stays black and acts as if its not recieving any input to it

i cant think about much else to include so i hope this works and sorry about my spelling ive never been very good at that subject

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 08 November 2009 - 05:19 AM

Windows Advanced Options Menu
Getting into Windows Safe Mode
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm

Step 1
Choose "Last known good configuration that worked", and press the Enter key. The computer will attempt to load Windows.
If Windows does not start, try the same thing again .... and continue trying for 10 times, before you rule that option out as a means of getting your OS up and running again, normally.
Why 10 times? Based on past experience, a successful result is sometimes achieved after several consecutive failed attempts.

Step 2
Choose "Disable automatic restart on system failure" and press the Enter key.
Your system will attempt to restart normally, but when it crashes, it will not re-start. Instead, you will see a BSOD with error message.
Record the error message in full detail, and post in this thread.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 joshuafox

joshuafox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2009 - 06:07 AM

ok the start up thing i talked about earlier is ASUS Express Gate and like i said when i go into it it works just fine for the time i played around on it although i didnt spend much time on it

there where two things on the top under the message of it saying why it blue screened it says
IRQL_NOT_less_or_Equal

and then at the bottom it said technical info
***Stop:0x0000000a(0x00000000,0x0000001c,0x00000001,0x804eb03c)

i also tried to start it up in safe mode like the blue screen said but it didnt work

#4 Uluru_2

Uluru_2

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 08 November 2009 - 07:45 AM

Hey joshuafox,

your describing some complex info. If you could clarify some things.

" ...just on myspace and my i was on my computer and my anti virus said it detected a trojan virus i hit qurantine ..."

1.) What AntiVirus are you using? , have you checked the Qaurantine to see if the the files are still there (?), they may be able to be checked by uploading to an online scanner like, http://virusscan.jotti.org/en-gb , OR , http://www.eset.com/onlinescan/

Logic being since Qaurantine of those files your Computer has failed.

2.) What type of Internet connection are you using, i.e. Cable, ADSL, ... ?

I really don't understand :
3.)

" ...and every option doesnt work it always gets to the load screen with the loading bar and the windows symbol and then it will stall for like 10 seconds and then has a blue screen that pops up but it go's away so fast i cant read what it says and like i have some sort of OS special thing that before my computer fully boots up and loads windows i can use it to surf the web or look at pics or a couple other things like skype internet games and all that and i tried that and it works just fine "

Could you go into what you mean, clarify so the dynamics of the situation are a bit clearer, great spelling, no probs there :thumbsup: just does not make a lot of sense.
Slow done a bit and give us some clear info.
I'm in no way trying to be condescending, just not sure exactly what the the problem is, except it involves problem Booting, and Connectivity to Internet, plus some quarantined files which may play a part in the problem solving factors, and how to attack the problem :trumpet:

In next post:

ok the start up thing i talked about earlier is ASUS Express Gate and like i said when i go into it it works just fine for the time i played around on it although i didnt spend much time on it

there where two things on the top under the message of it saying why it blue screened it says
IRQL_NOT_less_or_Equal

IRQ stands for Interrupt ReQuest and refers to special numbered channels that are used by devices to get the processors attention. Have a look at Device Manager, > Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager, and check for any X's or !'s next to any hardware devices.

runsonLinux.jpg
Been a Windows User for many years. I'm having a Linux holiday. Be secure, enjoy your time online. :thumbup2:

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 08 November 2009 - 09:54 AM

<<...and like i have some sort of OS special thing that before my computer fully boots up and loads windows i can use it to surf the web or look at pics or a couple other things like skype internet games and all that and i tried that and it works just fine>>

I guess that I don't understand this statement at all...if you cannot boot into Windows, how can you use Windows functions? Is IE your browser when you acquire this access? Question answered, see link at end of post.

Louis

Some info on Asus Express Gate, http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/asus..._shaping_future

Edited by hamluis, 08 November 2009 - 09:59 AM.

#6 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 08 November 2009 - 10:18 AM

As the link shows. the OS thingy is express gate which is linux on ROM. A useful thing actually which shows that the underlying basic hardware is ok and unaffected by the windows software problem.

I don't remember how to stop the restart on BSOD at that point in the boot up. Perhaps that is the start point and someone can look it up for the poster. I have to take a dog to the vet and can't stick around.

#7 joshuafox

joshuafox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2009 - 12:46 PM

ok to answer some questions i have avira antivirus the free version

the screen i was talking about is the boot screen as shown below
Posted Image
all it does is bring up that screen but the loading bar doesnt load anything at all it sits like this for about
5 to 10 seconds the blue screen pops up and it restarts itself

and i cant actually get into windows fully so i dont know how to check the quarentine or the other aspects you guys mentioned to check

ill try workin around on the asus express gate and see if i see anything suspicios and ill keep you posted

#8 joshuafox

joshuafox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2009 - 12:59 PM

ok heres so more in depth detail again just to try and clarify the problem
when i try to load windows in by using the safe mode it shows the stuff of loading such as the different drivers and what not and it shows all them until on one line a bar pops up that says press esc to cancel loading SPDS.sys

and then right after that it restarts again

ok i tried doing the f8 button and i saw where it said start up in debugging mode i tried pressing that and its loaded now ... where do i go from here

#9 joshuafox

joshuafox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2009 - 01:04 PM

ok when i loaded it in debugging mode it went into windows to the desktop and then during loading of some of my startup programs it froze ????

grrr this is so frustrating but i just got a question is it safe to assume that since it can actually load up windows and my asus express gate is working that i dont have a big problem with any of my hardware and that its probably just a missing startup file ? or is that wrong

cause im just trying to see and think ahead about how to fix this and whether im going to have to buy some new hardware for it and if im going to lose any of my files cause i have like 1000 songs on my itunes and it would take forever to get all my cds and load all the songs back onto my computer...)

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 08 November 2009 - 02:00 PM

Well...regardless of what the problems may be...you can always remove your hard drive and slave it to a different system...and move any data files that you deem worth the effort...to another partition/drive.

I suspect that you may be infected, since the only references that make any sense that I find for spds.sys...are possible malware references.

If you scan your system via Asus Express Gate, that may be useful.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%...mp;oq=&aqi=

Louis

#11 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 08 November 2009 - 03:33 PM

How to use debugging mode to diagnose a failed driver:

How to debug a system after you receive Stop Error IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (0xA)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];818501

Like many of MS troubleshooting pages, the info is probably right but is mostly incomprehensible to mere mortals.

You may indeed have a virus or malware infection. You may have an Antivirus that stopped and quarantined all or part of the payload. But something is damaged and it seems to be a critical driver file that windows feels it must load during even safe mode boot.

The important thing at this point is to safeguard your data and files because there are dangers inherent in just about any of the more advanced methods you probably require.

Do you have another computer with an onboard sata (You have given us damn little details on your system so we must guess) since express gate/ splashtop only works on sata drives directly connected to on board controllers we can guess you have a sata drive.

Do you have the media and cd-keys to reload your operating system?

Do you have another sata drive or know where you could buy or borrow one?

Do you have a network with other computers on it or an external usb drive with room for the files you want to save?

Can you describe your system in some detail with things like the model number of the asus board, model number of video card and what kind of slot it uses (pci, pcie, onboard) and any other devices connected to the computer or cards in the slots?

Several people here are willing to help you determine what your options are but none of us are mind readers.

Even if it is determined that you have a malware or trojan infection, you need to have your data backed up in some way before the malware experts advise you.

I have several computers on my bench waiting for me to fix so take your time and post as much info as you can. Don't include any personally identifiable info or log files until or unless someone request it. I will look in on this thread in a couple of hours.

#12 joshuafox

joshuafox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2009 - 03:38 PM

ok i tried doing some of the scans that you guys have been giving links too but my asus wont let me do much of anything like that like i cant access the files on my computer and i cant run any programs when i tried to save the files from the different sites that contains the startup of the scans i have to save them on a USB because it wont let me even save them on the computers drives and then when i try to launch them from the USB it wont launch them ...

is there any way i can get a command prompt to try and run scans on my computer manually? like when it starts up and shows the screen with the options to start up normally or in safe mode or etc....?

#13 joshuafox

joshuafox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2009 - 03:48 PM

ok ill look around on my computer and stuff and try to see what i can find what i can tell you is that my computer was built custom like my grandpa has a friend thats really good with computers and he ordered a whole bunch of different componets from tiger direct . com and he built it for me so i dont have any of the componets used like the boot disk or any of the orginal stuff used for my computer

although i do have a windows xp version 2002 disk that was used for my grandparents computer will that work?

the networking computers and stuff i dont have although like i said my grandpas friend who did all this does and if all else fails im supposed to go back home for thanksgiving and i can have him look at it then i just was trying to fix this problem on my own if i could thats why i came to you guys and you seem pretty capable ...

so ill get to looking up those serial numbers and just the brands of the componets we used and ill post them here in a couple minutes

#14 joshuafox

joshuafox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2009 - 04:20 PM

ok i got what i could see there is some sort of SATA that i saw which ill just list all the componets below

western digital SATA disk 8mb cache

Sony disk drive dvd

ASUS motherboard which it does have pci slots

GeFORCE 9400GT (pci.e) 1024 mb

and the ram sticks are Nividia SLI or something like that i hope that helps some

#15 joshuafox

joshuafox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2009 - 04:28 PM

also idk if it make a difference or not but like i said if i go to the advance options menu when booting up and select the start up in debugging mode it does work but now that ive been re viewing what has all been said when it starts up in the debugging mode it does all fine comes up great shows all my desktop shortcuts and starts the startup programs like normal until it gets and starts the antivirus... like as soon as the anti virus is loaded it freezes idk if that means anything or not but i thought it might be important once again the antivirus i have is the avira antivirus and its the free version

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users