Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fixed....or not

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Griggle

Griggle

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 07 November 2009 - 11:33 PM

Ok, so i originally had a ton of graphics problems and by reinstalling a newer graphics driver i solved that problem, yay me.

However, when i opened safe mode with networking i realized that most of my services (system restore, internet, things like that) weren't working so i reloaded in normal mode...but the services were still down. I went into control panel, clicked admin. tools and checked services and whenever i tried to restart any it claimed that related programs weren't available...so is there any quick way to restart those services so my computer works?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 08 November 2009 - 09:34 AM

<<...most of my services (system restore, internet, things like that) weren't working>>

Repair install of XP, assuming that the problem relates to the O/S and not malware or hardware.

What was the exact message you received when trying to start services?

What services were not running...and how did you tell that?

Not all services need to be restarted.

How To Determine what Services are Running in WinXP - http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/services.htm

How to determine what services are running under a SVCHOST.EXE process - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/list-services-running-under-svchost.exe-process/

Services Guide for Windows XP, Elder Geek - http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

List of Windows XP Services and Descriptions - http://e-articles.info/e/a/title/List-of-W...d-Descriptions/

Have you done a thorough check for possible malware?

Why are you booting into safe mode?

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 Griggle

Griggle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2009 - 12:55 PM

<<...most of my services (system restore, internet, things like that) weren't working>>

Repair install of XP, assuming that the problem relates to the O/S and not malware or hardware.

This is probable but because we just moved it is quite difficult to find any small circular disks in this house.

What was the exact message you received when trying to start services?

It varied based on the service, some said that the dependencies required to start this service weren't working and other programs stated that "the plug and play service, or related services were not working"

What services were not running...and how did you tell that?

Administrative tools> services

Not all services need to be restarted.

Have you done a thorough check for possible malware?

Yes, it was originally a hardware problem that you helped solve but this was an apparent side effect of my meddling afterwards

Why are you booting into safe mode?

before moving, i needed to boot into safe mode to get past the windows screen, which would flicker constantly and prevent me from using it (faulty graphics driver), however as per your instructions i resolved that problem by reinstalling the nvidia driver but now the safe mode with networking (and normal startup) aren't loading basic services.
System manufacturer and model?

Manufacturer: Http://www.abit.com.tw/
Model: AN7 (nVidia-nForce2)
CPU: AMD athlon*tm) XP 2800+

Louis

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2009 - 01:30 PM

<<Yes, it was originally a hardware problem that you helped solve but this was an apparent side effect of my meddling afterwards.>>

I hate it when my prior attempts to help...come back to haunt me :thumbsup:.

I think we need an XP CD so that we can do a repair install.

FWIW: All services don't run in safe mode...probably only the Windows-related services that provide minimal functioning. Do a normal boot. Safe mode is only useful (IMO) when a normal boot does not provide access into Windows.

I would try running chkdsk /r command.

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter or OK. Type Y in response to onscreen query and hit Enter/OK. Reboot the system.

Chkdsk will run, then automatically attempt to boot into XP when the command has finished.

Louis

#5 Griggle

Griggle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2009 - 07:39 PM

I don't think i explained this well (chkdsk yielded no results) the current problem isn't safe mode related, im working fine in normal mode, but (control panel> administrative tools> services) the list here is mostly disabled and when i try to enable, some things work and others give me a message that it can't start because other programs aren't starting, but they won't tell me what problems aren't working because THAT program isn't working either.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2009 - 08:05 PM

Did you run the chkdsk /r?

Can you do a repair install of XP?

Louis

#7 Griggle

Griggle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2009 - 09:41 PM

Yes, but nothing happened

No, because the disk is lost in a box somewhere :thumbsup: so im screweedweded?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:26 AM

Well...I don't have any alternatives that I can implement.

I can only draw from my own repair attempts/efforts...all of which revolve around having an XP CD. I'm not a programmer, I'm not a technician/professional...just another user with some experience and a small amount of intelligence (that means I'm able to read and reason) :thumbsup:.

I suggest waiting to see if anyone else has any ideas.

Louis

#9 Griggle

Griggle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 11:23 AM

Understood, however do you know anything about flashing the bios? a friend of mine reccomended me trying that to solve the problem

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 12:13 PM

Why and How to Flash Your BIOS - http://www.devhardware.com/c/a/Hardware-Gu...lash-Your-BIOS/

IMO...flashing the BIOS is something that is a hardware consideration...where the user is attempting to overcome the fact that mileage exists between the date the computer was acquired...and the technology available in some component.

My opinion is that flashing the BIOS is no remedy for your situation, but I can be wrong.

Some users seem to think of flashing the BIOS as some sort of magical panacea for whatever might be wrong with a system...it just ain't so :thumbsup:.

Louis

#11 Griggle

Griggle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:35 PM

I hate to ask this because it's rather childish but, there isn't any magic panacea that resets services to default? I could do it manually but i'd have to know the dependencies of each program in order to restart them in the correct order.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:31 AM

I don't think so...but you may want to take a look at some of the postings at http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=h...mp;oq=&aqi=

It seems to me that most persons who replied with "answers"...misunderstood the question, but I didn't look at all of them.

Louis

#13 Griggle

Griggle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2009 - 11:12 AM

Ok, looks like i can do it manually using Blkvipers's online list, i think i'll have this problem solved by this afternoon.

#14 Griggle

Griggle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2009 - 05:17 PM

Final question, (as i have successfully restarted all services manually) have any new nvidia graphics drivers been released since our original fix? Because i'm still getting windows critical system errors and the Driver service is saying i don't have the driver at all. (i'll try a reinstall but this is just peace of mind for me)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users