Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer freezes/difficulty downloading programs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AlphaBoz

AlphaBoz

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 07 November 2009 - 11:29 PM

I was referred by Elise after posting in 'Am I infected' and the 'HJT forum'. She's been a great help.

My computer freezes up if I'm not actively using it. It will freeze anywhere from three to 5 minutes. Most programs I try to download will freeze the computer, regardless of the amount of time I've been on the computer. Could be just starting the computer, or using it for 5 hours.
I can't get SP3 to install.

Last night, I tried to run Malwarebytes update and the computer froze, yet when I pushed the off button, then restarted the computer, I was able to do other things, such as read email, search the net, (though many sites didn't load, such as one of my favorite games) for approx an hour. I left for 5 minutes and the computer was froze...again. The entire computer freezes, not just the program.

I ran the chkdsk's, defragged, all the good stuff.

I opened and cleaned everything. No dust bunnies. All spic and span.

I can't get the computer to not freeze long enough to download anything to disk. Yet I seem to be able to run programs while in safe mode, that takes 5 hours to complete, without freezing.

I'm unable to use the internet, while in safe mode, even when I've selected that option.

My computer is not set to hibernate, or shut down, as it's always plugged in, until I shut down for the night. The computer is still on when it freezes, it's just nothing works, no clock, curser, ctl-alt-del, nothing. I could come back in an hour and it would be exactly in the same place I left it..frozen.

I hoping that when I finally get sp3 installed, it will clear up some of my remaining issues? I dunno. ::: shrugging shoulders :::

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 08 November 2009 - 02:24 AM

well, could be a corrupt registry, but my guess is hardware, probably either the Power supply or motherboard. Try reinstalling the operating system, make sure you back up any files you want to keep. if that doesnt fix it, Im willing to bet its probably a motherboard issue.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 AlphaBoz

AlphaBoz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2009 - 02:48 AM

Thank you Patriot. I'll start with looking up how to reinstall the operating system.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,741 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2009 - 12:30 PM

System manufacturer and model?

How much RAM installed?

How much free space on the system partition (containing Windows)?

Did you check Event Viewer for possible clues?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Instructions for reinstalling the O/S should be in your owner's/user's manual or the system manufacturer'r website, if the system is not custom-built/assembled.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users