Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

To many apps running at startup

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pnthr30

pnthr30

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 07 November 2009 - 09:41 PM

I have a lot of "issues" going on (to many applications at start up, to many apps/processes running, computer running very slow, etc) - in addition, Internet Explorer won't load pages (with ad-ons). I was able to get it running without add-ons and then downloaded Firefox, but that loads up VERY slowly. I will be the first to admit that I am not very comfortable/competent working with computers, so I greatly appreciate any help (have gotten great advice/help here in the past).

I know that my connection is fine, as I can access the net with my other computer (lap top) without any problems. I have disconnected and reconnected the modem and router but IE still doesn't seem to cooperate. I have also ran several scans (Spybot Search and Destroy, Symantec scan, Ad Aware scan) to try and detect any virus I may have contracted..........but am now at a loss.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot!

With so many problems, I don't know where to start, what the cause may be, nor where this post should be placed........please move if need be.

Ideally, I'd love some advice on how to clean up what is going on, make things run more smoothly, and how to get IE working agin.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 07 November 2009 - 10:17 PM

go to Start-->control panel-->add/remove programs and uninstall (add-ons) like toolbars for IE
go Start-->Run and type msconfig then press enter
go to start up tab (these are programs that start when windows starts) they can be stopped from running by unchecking them and rebooting
you will want to keep some of them so you will have to search google to help you find out what each program does.
you could un check 1 at a time to see which program may be affecting your computer adversely.

#3 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 07 November 2009 - 10:18 PM

also download ATF cleaner to get rid of temp files and other junk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users