Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista to Win XP help please

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sherriec09

sherriec09

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 07 November 2009 - 03:26 PM

My hubbys computer came with Vista. Nothing but problems. Couldn't format and install XP so we installed Win 7. It installed fine, but did not take out Vista. Hard drive is 500gb. After installing Win 7, only 180 gb left showing.
found out if I disable the SATA controller I could install XP. Well I did that. XP booted up, formatted, etc, but keeps telling me that there is another OS on the same drive.
Now, I booted with DBAN. I guess it didn't work regarding wiping everything clean, but it did allow me to boot from XP.
XP is only showing 128gb hard drive. I now find out there are 4 partitions on this hard drive, but only one is showing up. I cannot boot into any other OS or partition.

I am at a loss. I really need to get XP into this computer and stop all the problems.

HP Pavillion a6000
Vista
pentium R Dual CPU E2220 @ 240 ghz
2gb ram
Hitachi HDP7250GLA360 ATA 465.76gb
NVIDIA Geoforce 7100 NForce 630i
Motherboard NVidia M\CP73 chipset
BIOS Phoenix V5.15

If I don't boot with XP I get a disk error screen.
I do not have a Vista CD
Do not have a Backup Restore CD
Have a Win 7 CD but not sure if it is a full version or not.
Have a Win XP Professional CD, older, no sp updates on it.
Cannot run any programs since i cannot get into the OS

Please help.

Thank you
Sherrie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 08 November 2009 - 12:53 PM

You need at least Windows XP SP2 to see partitions more than 128GB.

#3 sherriec09

sherriec09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 08 November 2009 - 01:25 PM

ok, that makes sense.
But are you also telling me that XP without sp2 cannot format and see the whole 500gig hard drive??? So If I use Killdisk to boot up and wipe it completely clean, I will not be able to install XP anyway??? Or will I be able to partition the hard drive for XP on one partition and the other partitions for storage, like a cd or dvd or floppy?

I used to do this all the time for myself, friends, family with no problems, but things have changed so much just in the last few years that I don't understand any of it anymore..... :huh:

I have to do something though. I cannot get into his computer and the diagnostic said all 4 partitions had major error corruption.

So now what? help

EDIT: Booted up with Killdisk and it wiped the hard drive clean. Then booted with the Win 7 CD and it installed beautifully. Killdisk left all the drivers behind and no new drivers needed to be installed. The computer is now up and running.
PS: found the info on Killdisk on another part of the forum. Was using Dban and it just would not work. So downloaded Killdisk and it burned easily and booted perfectly! GOODBYE VISTA!!!! WooooHooooo!!!

Thanks!
Sherrie

Edited by sherriec09, 08 November 2009 - 07:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users