Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD Right As Windows Attempts to Load, Loops.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 snipersgethead

snipersgethead

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 07 November 2009 - 01:18 PM

So I was watching a movie and I left my laptop on for maybe about 1-2 hours maximum. When I came back I saw that the computer was in the process of booting up and I saw the prompts that asked if I wanted to Start Up Normally, in Safe Mode, or use Last Good Known Configurations. I tried one of them and right as the Windows XP loading screen with the 3 traveling blue blocks came up it immediately BSOD and restarted. No matter what option I chose it would still do the same thing. I went into the Windows Recovery Console which I had when I used ComboFix way back and used chkdsk /r and fixboot, still no change whatsover. I left the laptop battery out for about 30 minutes and changed the slots of my 2 RAM sticks and the outcome was still the same. I've had this laptop for about 5 years and I was wondering if there was still anything else I could do before I back up the data and either buy a new laptop or re-install Windows XP hoping it will fix itself.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 07 November 2009 - 03:01 PM

Windows Advanced Options Menu
Getting into Windows Safe Mode
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm

Step 1
Choose "Last known good configuration that worked", and press the Enter key. The computer will attempt to load Windows.
If Windows does not start, try the same thing again .... and continue trying for 10 times, before you rule that option out as a means of getting your OS up and running again, normally.
Why 10 times? Based on past experience, a successful result is sometimes achieved after several consecutive failed attempts.

Step 2
Choose "Disable automatic restart on system failure" and press the Enter key.
Your system will attempt to restart normally, but when it crashes, it will not re-start. Instead, you will see a BSOD with error message.
Record the error message in full detail, and post in this thread.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 snipersgethead

snipersgethead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2009 - 03:16 PM

Thank you for helping me with my problem AustrAlien. I have tried the first option and all attempts were failures. Here's the BSOD msg:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software if properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select safe mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000000A (0X00000000, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x804DC11D)

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2009 - 03:43 PM

Test the memory.

To make a bootable CD: memtest86+
Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
http://www.memtest.org/download/4.00/memtest86+-4.00.iso.zip

Extract the zip file, burn the .ISO image to CD and boot from it. Allow it to run.

There MUST be NO errors what-so-ever: If you see an error, stop the test. You would then need to test each stick of RAM separately to sort the good from the bad.

A minimum test for some confidence in the result, should be 7 full passes (each pass is a series of about 7 different tests).
Allow memtest86+ to run for 24 hours for maximum confidence in the test result.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#5 snipersgethead

snipersgethead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2009 - 06:11 PM

I ran it and got 10 passes before stopping so I guess my memory is in the clear. Might be my HDD. Any other suggestions?

Also, if I do end up having to using my CD to reinstall Windows XP, how will I go about backing up all my data on my HDD onto an external HDD if I can't get into Windows?

Edited by snipersgethead, 07 November 2009 - 06:36 PM.

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2009 - 12:48 AM

I ran it and got 10 passes before stopping so I guess my memory is in the clear. Might be my HDD. Any other suggestions?

That test on the RAM is good enough for now. I do not suspect a hard drive malfunction, based on the info you have provided. I am more inclined to suspect a driver &/or update OR malware. I am curious as to why you posted in the "Am I Infected?" forum. Do you have any reason to suspect that your system is infected with malware, or that the BSOD problem is a result of malware?

You said: ".... if I do end up having to ...... reinstall Windows XP, how will I go about backing up all my data on my HDD onto an external HDD if I can't get into Windows?"
That is not a problem: Have a look at this guide ...
Use Ubuntu Live CD to Backup Files from Your Dead Windows Computer
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...ndows-computer/

I suggest that it would be wise to proceed now with backing up your data before we attempt further work on the system, as a precaution.
-----------------------------------------

After backing up your data, a plan of attack might be ...
1. Test the HDD to ensure that it is not failing.
Download the diagnostic utility from the hard drive manufacturer's website to create a bootable floppy or CD. Boot with it, and run the short/quick test and then the long/extended test, and check the S.M.A.R.T. status. If the hard drive tests show NO problems what-so-ever with the hard drive, then it is safe to proceed with more work to rectify the problem with the Windows system.

Firstly, you need to find the brand name of your hard drive. You will find this info on the label of the hard drive (most likely you will have to remove the hard drive from the box to read the label). You will also find sufficient info to identify the drive (the model number) by looking in the BIOS Setup Menu.
Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

2. Run chkdsk /p from the Recovery Console to check and repair any file system errors.
If any errors are found/repairs made, run chkdsk /p again, and repeat if necessary, until no more errors are found.

3. Perform an "off-line System Restore" using either the XP Recovery Console or Ubuntu.
System Restore from Recovery Console
http://2pure.net/index.php?session=0&a...icle=1150238652

If using Ubuntu, it is a simple rename & copy/paste exercise.
Use the instructions in the above link as a guide as to what needs to be done
Do not install Ubuntu: Simply run the system LIVE, loaded into memory from the CD.

Here are a couple of other Linux versions that you could use instead of Ubuntu if you wish, to do both jobs:
Linux Mint 7 (My personal recommendation because not only is it GOOD, it is BEAUTIFUL !!!)
http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

Puppy Linux (at only 105MB download size, it is one of the smallest)
http://www.puppylinux.org/

Edited by AustrAlien, 08 November 2009 - 12:50 AM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#7 snipersgethead

snipersgethead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2009 - 09:15 AM

Wow, this time the error happened on my desktop as I plugged my external HDD in to check how much space it had to see if I had enough to back it up. So now both my laptop and desktop are dead. (Posting this on my PS3 btw). I don't know about you, but I don't really believe in coincidences. The only thing I can relate from my dekstop to my laptop is probably NOD32. But there's no way to boot so there's no way to uninstall it.

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2009 - 11:03 AM

Wow, this time the error happened on my desktop as I plugged my external HDD in

Oops! Is the external HDD a common factor?

Disconnect all external devices when trouble-shooting or attempting to fix a problem on any system.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#9 snipersgethead

snipersgethead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2009 - 02:17 PM

No, there wasn't an external HDD plugged into my computer while in use. I bit the bullet for my laptop and reinstalled Windows, so yes everything got formatted but luckily it works now. I'm currently using a data recovery program to hopefully try to get some of the data I lost back (Any you recommend? I'm using GetDataBack).

Now I will burn the Ubuntu program you mentioned onto a CD and run it on the desktop so that I can back up the data on that before I reinstall Windows. It'll be nice to have a fresh restart of Windows, I know we're not really sure of the issue between the comp but I've been running the same OS for 5 years on my laptop and 7 on my dekstop so I guess it was time for it to go.

Oh, and if I reinstal Windows on my desktop which has two HDD's, will it install it on the primary one or both? Because I just want it on one since I don't plan on backing up anything on the other HDD (Which doesn't have windows installed, it's just for data)

Edited by snipersgethead, 08 November 2009 - 02:28 PM.

#10 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2009 - 03:15 PM

Re the laptop
By formatting and reinstalling Windows before recovering your data, the chances of any worthwhile data recovery will be significantly reduced and perhaps rather remote.

Re the desktop computer
The SAFEST way to install Windows would be to physically disconnect your secondary hard drive before you attempt the installation, so there can be NO mistakes made, and your data safe. After you have installed Windows on the primary/system hard drive, then reconnect the secondary/data hard drive.

I will suggest that a moderator move this thread into the XP forum, since there is no longer any reason for it to remain in the "Am I Infected?" forum area.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#11 snipersgethead

snipersgethead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2009 - 06:59 PM

I want to think of Ubuntu like a safety net, is it? Like if I ever run into a situation like this will I be able to rely on Ubuntu to boot up in its own OS and then be able to back up my data since I can't boot into Windows? Then reinstall Windows and transfer my files back? Anything else I should other safety net items I should have for my computer in case something happens?

I just tried to boot from the Ubuntu CD and it's not working. And I know it works because I burned it with IMGBurn and right when it finished the program tried to start.

EDIT: Nevermind, had to leave both of my HDD plugged in or else it wouldn't have worked. But I just want to reinstall Windows on one drive, the only drive that has it. So I have to leave them both in because they're considered primary drives so will I be given the option to install on a certain drive?

EDIT: Moved to XP

Edited by garmanma, 08 November 2009 - 08:35 PM.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 09 November 2009 - 09:57 AM

Just a comment about GetDataBack...if you are using the unpaid version, it will allow you to explore and see files capable of being recovered...but you won't be able to recover them with that program until you pay for it.

I own a licensed copy of the NTFS version, I think it works pretty well for what it's intended to do.

FWIW: The only "safety net" that any computer user has...is the one that he/she creates...a backup, no matter whether it's done via a program designated as a backup program or whether it's obtained by cloning the partition/files/drive.

Louis

#13 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2009 - 06:41 PM

will I be given the option to install on a certain drive?

Yes, you will be given the option/need to choose the drive that you wish to install Windows on: It is then up to you to choose the correct drive. You should choose to do a "full format" of the drive before installing Windows. *When you format the drive all data will be lost, so you must be sure that you do choose the correct drive: This is why I recommend that you physically disconnect the drive that you need to keep safe.

Sorry, having trouble with an answer to the first part of your post. As hamluis says, the only "safety net" is a backup copy/backup image/clone. Ubuntu (or any other bootable operating system) is sometimes a very handy tool for a Windows user to have available, as is the Recovery Console.

Edit
You said: "Anything else I should other safety net items I should have for my computer in case something happens?"
Ah ... now that is the subject of another whole book! You might wish to start another thread on that subject if you are interested in it. I am sure you will get a good and varied response to that topic.

Edited by AustrAlien, 09 November 2009 - 06:46 PM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#14 snipersgethead

snipersgethead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2009 - 07:00 PM

Thanks for the response, I just got finished backing up everything I wanted. Inserting the Windows reinstallation disc I found now and going to try to format and install it on the drive I want. Haha, thanks, I think you guys both misunderstood my question for awhile. Like Ubuntu is good to have around when I can't start up Windows, so I can use Ubuntu to access my HDD and back up everything I want before reinstalling Windows. I will make a thread about asking safety items after I finish fixing this computer. Wish me luck on the reinstall.

EDIT: I got to the last two steps where the last one is like "Finishing installation" and it has the screen that tells you about the new look of XP blah blah blah. Then in the middle of it the screen cuts to black with a blinking cursor at the top left corner. I restarted it but then after trying to resume setup again it repeats itself. Do I just let it sit there or what?

EDIT2: Got it to work by going in to the Recovery and typing fixmbr. So now no more blank screen but it stalls with 33 minutes left. So now I have to copy the data from the disc using IMGBurn and burn it onto a new disc because I think the old disc is too scratched up, had to use my CD repair machine on it but I figured copying the data onto a new disc would be better than cleaning it again.

EDIT3: Alright so my disc cannot be read again so I'm stuck here. Is this kind of thing available to download on the MS site?

Edited by snipersgethead, 09 November 2009 - 09:47 PM.

#15 snipersgethead

snipersgethead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:02 AM

Sorry for double posting but the edit button didn't appear. I guess because I edited 3 times already. So the reinstall was successful but I have one more dilemma. I can still see my old profiles in the C:\ folder and all my programs are there under the programs folder, but they don't show in Add or Remove Programs. Some of them can start up but others like Nero don't do anything. I tried making a new user under the same name but it would just put "Profile Name.My Name"

So how can I access/install my old programs?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users