Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MagicSoftware-Antivirus PRO Vundo, Safeboot NETBOOK Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pissedoff09

pissedoff09

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 07 November 2009 - 01:12 PM

Ok I have a really bad problem. My mom was browsing the net on her NETBOOK (NO CD DRIVE) and she has Norton installed then somehow she got the trojan/malware by Magic Software Antivirus Pro/Vundo virus etc. It blocked websites like malwarebytes, hijackthis, etc. I installed malwarebytes to sd card and ran it a few times and it still did not delete it/ It detected it and I deleted the files but it was still onthe computer. I couldn't even run hijackthis the one I installed from off of an SD card. I looked in the registry didn't see the files that you guys say are associated with it. Then stupid me went into msconfig and selected safeboot. Bad bad bad idea now it's in a startup loot and wont boot, I dont have aboot disk and it does not have a CD/DVD drive. What can I do now? Is there anything in the bios that will reset this or what?

This should be illegal for virus companies to hold people ransom and bleeping up computers my mom seriously said she should have paid $70 to get rid of it. Why didn't Norton detect it? This is crazy. ANyways, what can I do?

This is what it is: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...ystem-pro#files

Edited by pissedoff09, 07 November 2009 - 01:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 07 November 2009 - 01:28 PM

<<Why didn't Norton detect it?>>

Most plausible reasons I can think of:

a. There is no AV program that can be designed to catch every form of malware that exists. That's why firewalls and other assorted programs exist that act as deterrents (not remedies) to malware. The idea (IMO) is to prevent the system from becoming a home, not to cure the system after it has become infected.

b. New malware is constantly introduced by idiots. AV is a reactive answer to known malware problems, there can only be an answer developed to new malware...once enough data has been collected and enough human effort has gone into devising a stategy to overcome such.

Louis

#3 pissedoff09

pissedoff09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2009 - 03:05 PM

Thanks, does anyone know what I can do or is her new computer broken?

#4 pissedoff09

pissedoff09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2009 - 02:03 PM

Still havent been able to fix the netbook now her laptop has the virus and I cant follow the BC uninstall guide because nKill wont stay up and malwarebytes and other files do not run it shows a security warning. Please help!

#5 Jocko59

Jocko59

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 26 November 2009 - 02:07 PM

Seems a number of people are having problems with this virus. I just got it myself unfortunately. I can't even access IE8 since it's been on. So I can't download any of the "solutions". So, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Hopefully someone has some suggestions.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,493 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2009 - 08:38 PM

Hello; See if you can get an HJT log from this Guide. ou may need to put it on a usb or CD and run from there.
Please follow this guide. Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Hijackthis. Then go here HijackThis Logs and Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal ,click New Topic,give it a relevant Title and post that complete log.

Let me know if it went OK.

If you cannot get HJT/DDS to work, please try this instead.

Please download RSIT by random/random and save it to your Desktop.
Note: You will need to run this tool while connected to the Internet so it can download HijackThis if it is not located on your system. If you get a warning from your firewall or other security programs regarding Rist attempting to contact the Internet, please allow the connection.
  • Close all applications and windows so that you have nothing open and are at your Desktop.
  • Double-click on RSIT.exe to start the program.
  • If using Windows Vista, be sure to Run As Administrator.
  • Click Continue after reading the disclaimer screen.
  • Leave the drop down box set to default: "List/folders created or modified in the last 1 month (30 days).
  • When the scan is complete, a text file named log.txt will automatically open in Notepad.
  • Save the log file to your desktop and copy/paste the contents into a new topic in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum, NOT here.
Important: Be sure to mention that you tried to follow the Prep Guide but were unable to get DDS to run.
If RSIT did not work, then reply back here.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users