Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Distorted graphics, what can be the cause?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 07 November 2009 - 12:59 PM

Hello again, I am in need of some advice (yeah I know, it has happened before :thumbsup: )

This time its my neighbours PC that causes the trouble. Its Asus, M&M I don't have other specs at hand now with nVidia geForce 7100 or 7500 chipset.

The history is as follows. she came to me last week, if I could help her re-install her XP, she had decided to reformat and she suspected trouble with her videocard.
I re-installed, installed all drivers (including all video drivers) and everything worked like a charm.

Until this morning. She turned the PC on and had no monitor input, so she came to me. I started the computer and got the following boot beeps: one long, three short (googling tells me this is VGA adapter problems).
The computer did not freeze apparently at this point, because I saw the keyboard lights flash and it rebooted, just when I was checking the cable to the LCD screen.... and I had normal screen input.

I looked around for about 30 minutes, installed a few updates for her and while I was doing that, the screen input disappeared once again (after it having worked fine for 30 minutes). I checked all cables, nothing wrong there, drivers, all installed and working fine (I had that checked before the monitor input stopped).

When I restarted, the BIOS splash screen (some Asus pic) was distorted (vertical lines appearing), the XP splash screen was distorted, and after that the screen turned black (power saving mode). Everything else worked, I heard the windows welcome sound. I resetted, and booted in safe mode, which appeared (and still appears) normal (undistorted).

She tells me the same has happened before and that was why she decided to reformat (distorted graphics). After the reformat/reinstall it has worked fine for one week....

What should I think of this? Any input/opinion/advice is welcome :flowers:

Edited by elise025, 07 November 2009 - 01:01 PM.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 07 November 2009 - 02:05 PM

Hi, Elise :thumbsup:.

I would think "video card/chip" is dying...but I would uninstall the video drivers (if it ever boots again) and then reinstall them...as a "desperate" attempt to solve it.

If it's a "name brand" system, I would use the drivers from the manufacturer's website. Other than that, I would use the Asus website (which can be challenging) for drivers.

Louis

#3 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Topic Starter

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 07 November 2009 - 02:48 PM

Thanks Louis, I was thinking the same.

Just FYI, she has the original Asus driver CD's, so that's not a problem.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users