Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Messed up my boot settings and and added unnecessary OS

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Warhammer

Warhammer

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 07 November 2009 - 11:46 AM

I had this virus that won't get me to safe mode, so I configured msconfig to do repetitive booting to safe mode. Now how do I change it in recovery console without erasing files in my computer I I hadnt done it already. I did bootcfg /rebuild but it seemed to add unnecessary OS's. Did copy and repair of my files I think it would just replace some of the window files. Did chkdsk. I think that is it. Could you tell me what do in baby steps? Thank you. If I need to reformat I think that is fine, but I have only burnt windows cd's with cd key they have some scratches, but I think they can work. Also please give ne a list of how to reformat if need be.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2009 - 11:05 PM

Instructions all the way at the bottom of the page
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,237 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2009 - 07:59 AM

Garmanma:

I understand the link about the link and instructions about the boot.ini, but here is what will happen...

If the user boots RC, they will be in the c:\windows folder (hopefully). So if they do this:

ren C:\Boot.ini Boot.ini.bak

That will "move" the c:\boot.ini file into c:\windows folder and call it boot.ini.bak.

Then when they reboot without the CD, XP will complain but still boot. So far so good.

But then, these instruction will not work if you follow them exactly:

...rename C:\Boot.ini.bak to C:\Boot.ini and run Msconfig again to remove the /safeboot flag.

That will not work because there is no c:\boot.ini.bak file - it is in c:\windows.

You can't do this from RC either:

ren c:\boot.ini c:\boot.ini.bak

Some people will "get it" and be fine, but the other day somebody did not get it.

Of course you understand what to do, but maybe the steps should be after booting into RC:

cd \
ren boot.ini boot.ini.bak

Of course, there are several ways to do it, but I figure enhancing the instructions will make it a little more foolproof.

Let me know if I am :thumbsup:

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#4 Warhammer

Warhammer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2009 - 05:12 PM

Yeah I think I accidentally started windows xp startup possibly in need of reformatting my hard drive and everything. Also couldn't boot to safemode though it showed the safe mode box screen it had to restart. Could you please help reformat my hard drive and xp pro. Please do it in baby steps. Also anything bad using a somewhat scratched burnt xp cd? Thanks wish I had asked in the first place though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users