Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transfer from one computer to a new computer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Wayne M 2476

Wayne M 2476

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 07 November 2009 - 07:58 AM

I am a novice with the computer and not to hip on the lingo, but I bought a new computer to replace my Dell Dimension 8100 and would like to know how I could transfer everything from my old computer to my new computer. I have a lot of family pictures and vacation pictures in my screensaver and am concerned these won't come out on the new computer. I am currently running Windows XP and the new computer has Windows 7. I bought a PC Movers Essential 2 CD which I hope will help, but as mentioned I am a novice at this. I upgraded to AOL 9.5 since it is supposed to be compatible to Windows 7 and am not thrilled about the tab browsing and some other features. The new computer should be here in a few days. Thanks for any suggestions.

Edited by jgweed, 07 November 2009 - 08:39 AM.
moved to more appropriate forum.jgw

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 07 November 2009 - 11:49 AM

Yes. You can move pictures over to your new computer. Personally, I would take back the PC Movers Essential 2 CD and buy an external hard drive and store your pictures there. All you need to do to transfer your pictures onto the external drive is simple drag-and-drop. When you want to move the pictures to another computer, it is again a simple drag-and-drop operation. The external hard drive plugs into your USB port. I have a 250 gig from Wal-Mart that cost about $80 or so, but you can buy ones with less capacity which translates to less expense. Or if you really want, you could simply use a thumb-drive. An 8 gig would allow you to the same thing.

The advantage of storing your pictures on an external drive means that you don't have to worry about losing things when your computer crashes (or your laptop is stolen). In general, external drives will last longer because they are not being used to operate a computer, which means they are not being accessed nearly as often.

Is AOL your Internet service provider then?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users