Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Service Pack 1

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 SJK

SJK

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 07 November 2009 - 02:42 AM

Bless it all!!! I hate this laptop! Anyway, it installed the service pack 1, which I thought was previously done and friggin appeared frozen, was not working, stayed on the black screen for at least 1/2 an hour...so I turned off the computer after watching to see what file it was stuck on forever...now it won't boot up at all, just has a black screen...any ideas? This is the same laptop I just got the antivirus system pro spyware off of...that is a whole other thread in 'help i'm infected'

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SJK

SJK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2009 - 03:59 AM

Ok, so now i'm back to the screen that I thought was frozen...which I guess is progress. Got someone to help me at least get the computer to boot up to this point. Here is what it appears to be stuck on:

!! 0x000034 !! 263/91758 (program_files_windows_mail_en-us_4eecf2848...)

Any clue how to get it past this point. Please help!

#3 SJK

SJK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2009 - 05:22 AM

ok, was able to reboot computer and tell it to start in safe mode...it says 'loading windows files'...lists about 23 files that are loaded and then at the bottom says 'please wait...' and has been on this screen for @ least 20 min....any ideas? I'm trying to get to safe mode to do a system restore to before i tried to install this friggin service pack 1.

please help

#4 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 07 November 2009 - 05:39 AM

hi,,,, have you or a friend got a vista recovery disc,,, if so then shove it in and boot from it and go to the recovery options section and enter sys restore in there,,,, restore back to before the sp1 update,,,, then when it boots in normal (hopefully) press the windows key + pause or type in system in start menu search box and look at the top part and it will tell you what pack is installed,,,, if its not sp1 then make sure you have all relevant and current updates before installing sp1,,,, i would also download it and before install come off line (pull the plug on the router) and turn off your security ,,, firewall,,, a/v,,, malware protection,, the lot, as this could maybe messing with the sp1 install,,,,,, do not forget to turn em all back on before going back online :huh:
good luck.

hi ,,, just as an after thought
http://vistahomepremium.windowsreinstall.c...stemrestore.htm

Edited by figgis41, 07 November 2009 - 06:45 AM.

Figgis,,,, LUFC

#5 SJK

SJK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2009 - 06:33 AM

the only cd/dvd is the reintallation dvd for the operating system, windows vista home premium 32 bit...have been trying to boot from it

at best, I can get it to start to reboot and press f8, go in to last known config and it goes back to the file it was stuck on when installing the service pack....I can go in to safe mode, where it loads maybe 50 files before hanging up on the same one.

When installing the service pack, this is the file that crashed the system: '!! 0xc000034 !! 263/91758 (program_files_windows_mail_en-us_4eecf2848...)

So what do I do?

Great news...hopefully...got iti to go to startup repair and it is now checking for problems and attempting to repair them...we will see what happens.

#6 SJK

SJK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2009 - 06:38 AM

How long should the startup repair take? Does anyone know?

#7 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2009 - 06:43 AM

hi,,, yer thats the disc you want,,,, a startup repair will replace corrupt files aswell,,, seems that your windows mail is playing up on the sp1 install, the repair should sort it out,,, if not then boot from the disc again and do a restore to before the sp1 update,,,,
im having a bit of fun myself at the moment,,, im installing win7 over vista with a free upgrade disc for my wife's new acer,,, funny thing on this is,,, it suggests you make a backup using the acer backup program,,, which i never,,, lol,,, and on installation it removes all non win7 stuff,,, yep the acer backup utility is one of them,,, so how would you reinstall the backup if you used it,,,, hahahaha,,, dope's,, i used acronis :huh:
good luck

hi,, just as an after thought,,,
http://vistahomepremium.windowsreinstall.c...stemrestore.htm

Edited by figgis41, 07 November 2009 - 06:46 AM.

Figgis,,,, LUFC

#8 SJK

SJK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2009 - 06:46 AM

How long does the repair take? It's been runningn for at least 1/2 hour now.

#9 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2009 - 06:49 AM

depends on what its repairing and what state the pc is in after the issues,,, be patient mate and let it play :huh:
i posted a link above on how to do a system restore using the disc,,,, you probably already know how to do it ,,, but just in case :D
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#10 SJK

SJK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2009 - 06:54 AM

honestly, I have learned more after being up all night with this computer than i ever have...I have never had to try to reboot in safe mode or any of this crap before...even removing the spyware the way I did was new for me! Wish I would never have okayed the install of the service pack....just because windows downloaded it doesn't mean it has to be done...and thanks for the link I will check it out!

#11 SJK

SJK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2009 - 08:18 AM

Ok, honestly, it has been running for a couple of hours now!!! HELP!!!! Is this normal? It still says on the startup repair that it is 'attempting repairs'

#12 SJK

SJK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2009 - 09:06 AM

Really, truly I am not a patient woman...so far it has been on startup repair for 3 hours!!!! come on, it can't seriously be taking that long....thoughts anyone?

#13 SJK

SJK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2009 - 11:34 AM

Ok, as a last ditch effort I tried f8 once more, then did repair computer...and found the system recovery options...from which I can do a system restore. I started the system restore about 20 min ago and it is supposed to restore the computer to the point right before the service pack was installed....here's all my fingers and toes crossed hoping it work! Anyone know how long it takes?

#14 SJK

SJK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2009 - 11:35 AM

Ok, so someone just told me it takes an hour...if it's not done by 12:30ish which is an hour from now, it's off to the repair shop!

#15 SJK

SJK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2009 - 12:39 PM

How do I know if the System Restore is working? It has been almost 1 1/2 hours now...please help!!! I really don't want to pay $$ to get this piece of crap fixed!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users