Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

r8169?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Veridis Quo

Veridis Quo

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 07 November 2009 - 01:21 AM

I kinda feel guilty that I'm only here when I have a problem.

To try to keep this a brief as possible, I built a PC in June and have been running Fedora 11. Its been a learning experience but so far smoothly. Earlier this week I installed the ati catalyst driver it messed up my screen resolution and was doing more bad than good. I uninstalled it and got things back to how I had them, the machine ran fine. That was Thursday, Friday morning I decided to give it one last try. It still didn't respond the way I would have liked it to, I got rid of it, downloaded some updates and restarted. On the restart I get to the Fedora 11 loading screen after the whole thing turns white I get a r8169: eth0: link down
ADDRONF (NETDEV_UP) :eth0 link is not ready ADDRONF (NETDEV_UP) :wlan0 link is not ready. Thats as far as it will let me go I'm not sure what the eth0 and wlan0 have to do with not letting the PC start. Any input on how to fix this is greatly appreciated, if anymore information is needed I'll be more than happy to provide as much as I can.

Thanks
PS I downloaded the driver from the repository if that helps.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bisquit maker

bisquit maker

• Banned
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 09 November 2009 - 07:20 PM

8129/8139 is a RealTek driver for the ethernet interface. It's a common standard.
What does
# ifconfig -a && ifconfig eth0
give you? # means a root prompt.
You may need to enable the interface first, then run dhclient to connect.
Be sure to open the network manager and do the same.
The interface wlan0 is connected to what? Are you running a server or using the machine as a router?
And, as always, did you try going to linuxquestions.org or the fedora forums to ask for help before coming here?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users