Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CONFIG\SYSTEM missing

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 marcwtf

marcwtf

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 06 November 2009 - 05:26 PM

After getting this error:

Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

I did this:

md tmp
copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
delete c:\windows\system32\config\default

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

It all went fine till I got to the 3rd part, first line, copy the system file out of the repair folder. File doesn't exist. So I finished other 4. Now there was no system file so I copied the system.bak back into the system/32/config folder. No when I rebooted I get:

System error: Lsass.exe
When trying to update a password the return status indicates that the value provided as the current password is not correct.

This has happened to me before once or twice out of the hundred times I've had to do it. I usually just reinstall after getting aggravated. Just wondering if this a fix or work around for this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 07 November 2009 - 06:02 AM

Just wondering if this a fix or work around for this.

Oh yes, there is a very simple solution.

You said: "all went fine till I got to the 3rd part, first line, copy the system file out of the repair folder. File doesn't exist."
If you have a look inside the "repair" directory using the "dir" command, you will probably find system.bak and if that is the case simply use that file like so ...

copy c:\windows\repair\system.bak c:\windows\system32\config\system
----------------------------

There is an altogether "better" way of doing the job .... which avoids this problem as well as others ....
System Restore from Recovery Console
http://2pure.net/index.php?session=0&a...icle=1150238652

The "off-line System Restore" can also be done using the same steps with a LIVE CD (a Linux version or BartPE version), or another Windows operating system/another computer. It is a very simple and familiar rename and copy/paste exercise.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,088 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 07 November 2009 - 07:15 AM

Did you have a power failure/interruption (unplug or power switch), aborted restart or ungraceful shutdown prior to this message:

Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

What method are you using to boot to do this copying - a bootable XP installation CD, Recovery Console CD, etc.?

Whatever method you are using, please run a chkdsk /r before trying any file manipulation.

Edited by joseibarra, 07 November 2009 - 12:14 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#4 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 07 November 2009 - 09:13 AM

I've made a note of these solutions for future use,
but have to say that on the 2 occasions when I got
that message, (Oct 2007 and earlier this year)
I was up and running with chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console.

#5 jsmart7

jsmart7

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2009 - 10:35 AM

It is not a serious error. I also sometimes get this 1st message, but without doing a repair installation, I just omit the message and then my machine again works fine by itself.

#6 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 07 November 2009 - 11:27 AM

Well, JS, it's pretty serious for those who cannot start their computers.

Do share your solution - just how do you 'just omit the message' ?

I'm curious.

#7 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2009 - 11:29 AM

Instead of doing this manually, use System Restore for backup your registry. You can also use http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt

#8 marcwtf

marcwtf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2009 - 01:33 PM

AustrAlien was correct about the file being called system.bak. Couldn't log into the windows Recovery off the XP Home disk, cause now asked for a password to log into the Admin account. So I used Active password Recovery, which is pretty much a windows live with a few tools. Used the explore my computer in Active Password, went to the windows/repair folder, and all the files were there, and for some reason the system file was system.bak, just as AustrAlien said it would be. I have no idea why a .bak extension was put on it. But I moved the file to the system32/config folder, deleted the system that was there, renamed the system.bak I just placed there to system (took off the .bak). Rebooted. No more errors, just freezes right before loading the desktop... Next step I'm trying is a repair install.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users