Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird Skype message

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 juvanya

juvanya

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 06 November 2009 - 05:00 PM

Somehow this came through Skype:

I'm using Mac OS X 10.6 and did not click the link.

Thanks for any help

URGENT SYSTEM SCAN NOTIFICATION ! PLEASE READ CAREFULLY !!

www.updatevx.org/

For the link to become active, please click on 'Add to contacts' skype button or type it in manually into your web browser !

FULL DETAILS OF SCAN RESULT BELOW

WINDOWS REQUIRES IMMEDIATE ATTENTION

ATTENTION ! Security Center has detected
malware on your computer !

Affected Software:

Microsoft Windows Vista
Microsoft Windows XP
Microsoft Windows 2000
Microsoft Windows Server 2003

Impact of Vulnerability: Remote Code Execution / Virus Infection /
Unexpected shutdowns

Recommendation: Users running vulnerable version should install a repair utility immediately

Your system IS affected, download the patch from the address below !
Failure to do so may result in severe computer malfunction.

www.updatevx.org/

For the link to become active, please click on 'Add to contacts' skype button or type it in manually into your web browser!

Edited by The weatherman, 06 November 2009 - 05:37 PM.
Link to deceptive website deactivated to prevent anyone from inadvertently getting infected. Please don't visit that site without adequate protection.~Tw

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pattyboy7

pattyboy7

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:16 PM

Well (in short)...... IT'S A BAD SITE!
I checked it out once and it was one of those sites that won't let you close it without it downloading a supposed "Scan" program.
This program is what gives you a virus.

If you ever encounter a site like this:

1. Press Ctrl+alt+del to get into Task Manager.
2. Find your browser in the list of open applications (whether it be Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Mozilla, etc...)
3. Select it the browser.
4. Click "End Task" down on the bottom center.

Hope this Helps

#3 juvanya

juvanya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:50 PM

This is a Mac, so I cant ctrl alt del ;) I figure its bad but I wonder why it's asking me to do it on skype.

#4 Watchworks

Watchworks

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 09 November 2009 - 09:49 AM

This goes back to at least 2005 Skype Scareware - Trojan.

This is at the least a scareware site that sends a spam message to Skype recipients using Skype's instant messaging. The text looks very official, but it is just a spam message wanting to lure you in to their site to either purchase their software, or possibly infect your computer with a virus.

As you found, these guys aren't too smart, reporting the problem to be with Windows operating systems, but you are on a MAC!

You did the right thing to not click on links like this one, unless you know who it is from.

One more thing -- block this sender and report them to Skype. To do this, at the top of the message window you will see a button to "Block" the user. Click on that, and a confirmation popup window will be displayed, where you will want to click on the Checkbox for Report abuse from this person, then confirm blocking the user.

#5 juvanya

juvanya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2009 - 08:45 PM

Done. Thanks.
:thumbsup:

#6 ksleonard

ksleonard

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 02:42 AM

I think Skype is blocking messages from strangers by default now, but in case you're not set up this way, here's how to prevent these types of messages from reaching you:

http://bluescreensolutions.blogspot.com/20...from-skype.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users