Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Vostro 1500 Display Backlight not working

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JKelleyLBI

JKelleyLBI

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 06 November 2009 - 03:56 PM

Hi everyone, first post here. I have used this forum sucessfully in the past with spyware / software issues to great success, and may I say how greatful I am for the wealth of information here in.

On to new business though, the display LCD on my laptop stopped working some time ago. The kids at the geek squad told me I needed a new LCD and invertor, which I purchased through ebay and installed this afternoon. Unfortunately, the new screen didn't solve the problem. Just as with the original screen, I can faintly see images on it but the backlight is not functioning at all. Any suggestions as to what else the problem might be will me most appreciated. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SoHo Integration

SoHo Integration

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 20 November 2009 - 09:01 AM

I have a similar experience. Backlight died, but you could see the desktop and icons faintly if you angled it just right. Replaced the inverter... same problem. Replaced the LCD with the new inverter. The display will work perfectly *IF* you boot with an external display and the internal display disconnected, once the Windows splash screen appears, plug the internal display connector in and then the display will sync up and works just fine... until you reboot again. If you attempt to boot with the internal display connected, the machine locks up and fails to boot, giving a couple of loud beeps from the speaker. Anyone out there have a clue what to do?

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 20 November 2009 - 01:02 PM

The wiring harness is on the thin side and pretty fragile. The conductor could be broke and you won't see it with the insulation still intact
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 compkid2

compkid2

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 22 November 2009 - 11:14 AM

Hi, I have the exact same problem with my Inspiron. I closed the laptop lid and when i returned to the computer the backlight won't turn on now. I can see the destop if i shine a bright light on to the computer. I'm nearly sure that its some sort of loose wire cause the backlight was working perfectly before.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users